X

pre 98 600 wont start!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre 98 600 wont start!

Ran just fine the first night I got it. Get up today to start it and get nothing. I walk in the garage to the smell of gas and some gas and oil on the floor . I can see some gas drip from the carb that is 2nd from the right. I assume its flooded out and maybe the plugs are bad now? would it beeing flooded make gas drip from one carb only? Any advice as Im a newb at these bikes.

did you pull the plugs yet?
    "Muck, what part of "Thou shall not" didn't you understand?" GOD

Comment

Sounds like your floats in the carbs are stuck open, AND your fuel switch (petcock) is either in the prime position (pointing to the rear) or the petcock is allowing fuel to flow when the engine is off.

You will need to check your oil to see if it smells like gas. If it does, you will NEED to change it before you start it up.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
      who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Yup..
        Greg has it.
        Nice looking 600!!

Comment

HAhaha, Yea flots MUST be open cuz the fire dept just arrived at my front door saying the neibors can smell gas and are concerned.

Time to look in the manual.

Comment

OK First check to see that your pet cock is working..
            Disconnect a fuel line, no gas should come out of the tank. If it does (with the fuel switch pointing up) there is one problem.. Cap the tank or pinch off the hoses to prevent gas from getting

If you have gas in the oil you need to change it.

Now you should still have gas in the carbs so try and start it. If you are having float or pet cock issues the best thing to to have the carbs full but shut off from the supply. There should be enough gas in a full carb to start and run the bike for about 3 to 5 minutes..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
              There should be enough gas in a full carb to start and run the bike for about 3 to 5 minutes..
              Longer than that . Or it'll run just over a mile .......
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                Originally posted by Black_peter
                There should be enough gas in a full carb to start and run the bike for about 3 to 5 minutes..
                Longer than that . Or it'll run just over a mile .......
                yeah I can get about a mile.. basically I want him to know he can run the bike with no worries on the contents of the carbs...

Comment

Oh c'mon ! You guys laught when I'm being serious , but when I'm trying to actually make a joke .....
                  I got a bit more than a mile down the road with a passenger , when it sputtered to a stop . After freaking out for a minute , I thought about it , and . I knew EXACTLY what had happened . So yeah , I know how far the fual in th ebowls can get you .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                  X