valve noise... done valves, still noisy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valve noise... done valves, still noisy

Hey folks,

So, similar to the sound clip posted here http://katriders.com/forums/viewtopi...engine+ticking
    I also have a large amount of valve noise, which i can tell is either coming from cyl 3 or 4, and is noisier from the exhaust side... so i'm assuming its an exhaust valve. Given I can hear it louder on one side, i'm guessing that its not normal engine noise.

I did check/adjust the valves... really not off much and no loose nuts. Although I don't have a comprehensive set of feeler guages. exhausts have to be .18 to .23mm, i had a .20 and a .15... so i adjusted to fit a .20, then tightened it a bit more so the .20 wouldn't fit, but would fit a .15 very easily... but none of them were loose enough to fit a .25mm feeler before my adjustments. A couple had slightly too small of a gap though.

I did intakes all to .10mm, which are indicated .10-.15mm.

so why the noise, still? should i go get a better set of feelers and do it again? And... i couldn't find the info using search, is it better to have them closer to the small or large end of the quoted acceptable gap distances?

Also, the bike shops don't stock the suzuki stem holder... i can order it, but anyone know a quick way to get one? i was using a bent robertson deck screw which was easier than pliers, but i'd rather get the right tool.

Thanks,
    BR

What's a stem holder? If it's the same thing as a tappet tool, Cyberpoet sells them.

I did my valves (for the first time) this weekend. 1993 Kat 750. I decided it was time when the bike was making a terrible metal-on-metal noise when I started it up. I have no idea if it would get quiet after warming up because I never gave it the chance.

I'm no feeler gauge expert, but I adjusted all of mine so that the max tolerance gauge would not fit, and the min tolerance gauge would fit with some contact. (You can stack feeler gauges, btw.)

I figure that the bike is as close to factory specs as I'm going to get it regarding valve clearance. I basically hate this motorcycle to death and would dance if it exploded and then melted into a puddle of steel, aluminum, and asphalt. Buy me a beer sometime and I'll tell you what this bike has put me through. It still makes "sewing machine-type" noise. I don't care any more. I'm going to add a little more oil and consider it perfect.

That sound clip doesn't sound that bad to me. Make sure it has fresh oil, and enough oil. I wish my bike sounded that good.
    former dc beltway daily commuter

Comment

Sounds to me like the both of you need to replace the spring for your cam chain tensioner. If you search for it, you will even find some pics of old ones laying beside the new one. What you are probably hearing is the cam chain.

Here is another possibility of your noise, BRkat. Have you checked for any exhaust leaks at the headers on those cylinders? Could be a possibility.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
      who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

replaced the cam spring tensioner at the same time...

Haven't check for exhaust gasket leaks... guess i will be doing that, or at least searching to find out how to check for that.

Either way when i put on the valve cover again its now leaking a bit, didn't use any gasket maker.. going to go buy some.. will re-do the valves stacking the guages to get as close to spec as possible.

btw... how do you use gasket maker? would I spread it on the valve cover or on top of the cyl. head?

If this doesn't fix the ticking... i'll just live with it i guess.

Cheers,
        BR

Comment

apply it to the cover

Comment

Originally posted by Court93kat
            Sounds to me like the both of you need to replace the spring for your cam chain tensioner. If you search for it, you will even find some pics of old ones laying beside the new one. What you are probably hearing is the cam chain.

Here is another possibility of your noise, BRkat. Have you checked for any exhaust leaks at the headers on those cylinders? Could be a possibility.
            Good advice. If you search for it, one of those pics will be my old spring lying next to my new spring. I posted it about 2 weeks ago when I changed them.

I appreciate any ideas and input. I think I'll pack everything under the valve cover with sawdust. That oughta keep it quiet.
            former dc beltway daily commuter

Comment

Just a thought:
              If RejectionNinja and BRkat both are used to water-cooled engines, they may find noise that is normal to be disconcerting and they may be chasing snipes as a result. Oil-air cooled engines are inherently more mechanically noisy than water cooled engines because there is no water-jackets to absorb the noise.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

[quote="The CyberPoet"]Just a thought:
                If RejectionNinja and BRkat both are used to water-cooled engines, they may find noise that is normal to be disconcerting and they may be chasing snipes as a result. Oil-air cooled engines are inherently more mechanically noisy than water cooled engines because there is no water-jackets to absorb the noise.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet[/quot

i was waiting to say that.mine taps around every 1 or 2 rotations.its not very loud but you can here it.you could even have a bent valve.you can check that with a cylinder pressure tester

Comment

Thanks for all the info! Ya, i'm thinking its probably just normal engine noise... but i don't want to find out its not normal by avoiding doing the valves and having damage... had to learn how to do it at some point anyways.

Since I, only by hand with an alen key, over tightened one of the valve cover bolts last time, the cam journal (think that's what its called) is at the machinist being helicoiled today.

Will be putting it back tomorrow... if its still noisy, i'm just going to live with it. Think i'm just babying my bike a little too much... lol

So... a noob question, I got RTV to use, since when i put the cover back on last time it was leaking along half of the front edge. suzukisportrider2004 said to put it on the cover, but do i put it in the gasket groove on the cover, then seat the cover on the gasket and head? or how exactly is the best way to use it?

Cyber I know you don't use it, but that option wasn't working for me. Maybe I just didn't tighten down that annoying bolt on the front side of the cover.. its hard to get anything in there. Gasket is still in good shape though, maybe i'll give it another shot without.

Thanks again
                  BR

Comment

i dont use any sealant BUT i do use it on the 4 round(2 on each side) cam ends.i use the 2 bolt but if cp said you dont need them then i wouldnt use them.

Comment

Working...
                    X