X

Hesitation in mid- to upper- RPMs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hesitation in mid- to upper- RPMs

I noticed I'm getting a hesitation in 5th or 6th gear at highway speeds when I go FOT. I don't notice it at lower gears and I'm guessing that's because the torque of the lower gears is carrying it through. My two guesses would be fuel or spark issues. I plan on throwing in some fuel injector cleaner (Chevron Techron) to see if that clears it up in case the carbs are a little gummed up. My next step would be to change my plugs - they're over 7k miles and probably due anyway.

Has anybody experienced this and if so, are there other areas I should be checking?

Next: I haven't checked my Clymer manual yet but what's involved in changing the plugs (ie. do I have to remove the tank)?

Thanks for any help.
    '95 Suzuki GSXF Katana 600
    PurpleonBlack

welcome,

yes, you have to remove the tank.

it would be good to know what rpm range your riding at just before going WOT. i'd do both - a little fuel cleaner AND change the plugs.

but more knowledge about the bike would help - jetted ?

tim

Comment

I'm sorry - my bike info used to be in my sig at 'the Planet'...

It's '96 Katana 600. I have a K&N air filter, Factory 5 Degree Ignition advancer, and I run Mobil 1 MX4T Synthetic Oil in it. Other than that, she's stock.

I didn't notice this last season before she went in for winter and for most of November, December and January I was able to ride about once a week (on average). Let January and all of February have been tough (too cold or too snowy).

I guess I notice it mostly cruising in 6th gear at about 6000-6500 rpms. If I go WOT at that point, I get a couple second hesitation and then she catches and goes. I also might be down on power overall but I've been attributing that to me getting more used to the bike. However, if there is a high-end miss or the carbs are a little choked, she probably is down on power.

I'll run some injector cleaner first and then when its warmer I'll swap the plugs.

Any other maintenance things I should/could do while I'll have the tank off?
      '95 Suzuki GSXF Katana 600
      PurpleonBlack

Comment

You know , I had the exact same problem a few months back whilst I was experimenting with jetting . I put in one size larger mains and it went away . I'm not saying that that's what YOUR problem is , but .... Have you messed with your jetting or anything that would effect that lately ? When's the last time you synched the carbs , or have you messed with them lately ? Lots of people say they have a hesitation and synching makes it go away . Just some ideas ....
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by J. Kidd
          I'll run some injector cleaner first and then when its warmer I'll swap the plugs.

Any other maintenance things I should/could do while I'll have the tank off?
          The obvious ones are:

Valve adjustment
          Carb cleaning
          Carb Syncing (as MD86 said)
          JetKit if you want to install one
          Checking the valve cover gaskets for leaks & replacing as necessary
          Cleaning up and smearing dielectric grease on the coil connections.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
          X