X

Broken gear tooth on '92 kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken gear tooth on '92 kat

I took my kat in to the dealer for their opinion on my problem... they said that my second gear has a chip on one of the teeth and will need to be replaced. They quoted me 500-800 bucks...

How hard is this to do? Can I do it myself?

look, your not gonna what to do trans work yourself. Theres tons of liitle spacers and things you need to know exactly were it came from, for me yeah it's easy, but I'm a Suzuki dealer mechanic. It's not a symple DIY job.

Comment

General wisdom:

$250 in parts, 18 to 24 hours in billable shop labor.
      If you do it yourself, expect $250 in parts and 40 - 50 hours of labor unless you've done it before.
      That makes the professional repair price generally higher than the replace price to simply swap out the engine and tranny as a single unit by a factor of about x2.5 -- an engine/tranny swap is the cost of the used unit plus about 3 hours of labor.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I found a used tranny from a '95 600 kat for 170... how hard would that be to swap out the whole transmission myself?

Comment

Swapping a tranny is the same amount of labor as repairing a tranny -- it's a part of the engine+tranny system and you need to tear the engine down to get at the tranny components.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

You know , when I dropped my oil pan to repair a crack oh .... 3 or 4 years ago , I found a tooth in there . Never did find out what it went to , and I still have the tooth . I took a close look through the oil pan a few weeks back while working on that engine , and never DID figure out where it came from , but the bike never acted like the tranny was going . I put over 20k miles on the thing before taking it out to rebuild the top end .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I lost a tooth on my RM and it is a little 250 and it was a job spliting the caseing on it .

Comment

MD, I always suspected that tooth was either from a cam-chain sprocket or follow, or from the oil filter pump sprocket, and not actually from the tranny... But that's just my suspicion.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yeah CP, +1 on the oil pump sprocket, thats my thought also.

Comment

Like I said , I still got it .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                    X