X

3 hrs at 80 mph now won't idle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 hrs at 80 mph now won't idle

Well school is out, was on my way home for the rest of the week. Beautiful riding. It was mid 80's to possibly low 90's. I hit the highway and hour later had to hit some back roads due to a rolled semi trailor. Pissed at first, but welcomed as i twisted the throttle. Two hours and half later I get off the interstate and pull over to check the gas, had just enough left in the tank to get home(180 miles on one tank thus far). As I was pulling over the bike would not idle. I figured it was just hot. Na, the bike won't idle now. Runs fine through the rpm range. Haven't checked plugs yet as I have to go buy a thin wall 18 mm deep well tomorrow.

So any ideas? I am at a lost on this one.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Ew ..... see any leaks around the engine ? Plugs are pretty much ALWAYS the first thing I check to try to get a rough idear what could be goin on , though .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I do have one of the bolts that hold the valve cover on leaking because it is stripped and going to fix while i am here with form a thread. That is the only fluid related leak I have that I have found. I should be able to tear into it more today.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Could have picked up some trash in the bottom of the tank? Maybe pull the carbs and give them a quick cleaning?

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Vac problem feeding fuel?
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Fouled plugs.
            Cause is either debris/water in the fuel supply or bad fuel-air mixtures.
            Initial corrective action is replacing the plugs, drain the carb float bowls (drain into a glass jar so you can examine the result for water & debris), checking the tank for rust and treating any problems found appropriately.
            Secondary corrective action if the problem re-establishes itself is to have the fuel-air ratios checked on a dynometer with exhuast gas analyzer (EGA), so you can find out what RPM range they are fouling in and decide what to do. If it wasn't doing this last year, the initial corrective action will probably resolve the issue without needing the secondary corrective action.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks guys. Well the bike has never officially ran 100% correctly. Got it running great last year with the setup at that time. Replaced all parts in the carbs along with new exhaust this year and it has been darn close to perfect. I just couldn't get to the dyno guy with my school/work schedule before my trip and he works only 2 days, friday evening and saturday till 2. I do have some rust in the tank from what I can see in the filler hole. I was stupid not to have it shipped home here so I can por-15 coat it. The local shop has kreem but i have heard bad things about that.

I am going to go get new plugs, add fuel filters, get some techron, and quick clean over the carbs. Let you all know how it goes.

Comment

Why dont you try to re sync it. The temp change might have something to do with it.
                1996 Katana - Sold
                2000 YZF600R - Killed by little old lady
                2006 Tacoma - Faster then the lawn mower

Fish are safer then senior citizens : )

Comment

the bike was never sync'd in over a year that i ahve had it. it should run somewhat, just rough. I don't have my carbtuner with me, it is back in south point, oh (i'm 3 hours away in buckhannon, wv). Plugs look fine. Been messing with some costly shock crap, so haven't gotten to the engine yet. but have picked up new fuel filters.

Comment

I had this same issue a couple of time now....

Spark plugs keep vibrating loose.

I have had this happen on other bikes as well.

Give them a check.
                    2006 Kan-A-Tuna GSX-F 750

Comment

Working...
                    X