X

Newbie Q's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Q's

Q#1. I have been trying to find out some things about "petcocks" but it seems that i still dont understand what they are for and why bikes have them and cars dont, oh ya i also know that mine is leaking a bit and needs to be replaced or something.
    Q#2. Is there a fairing bolt kit for pre 98's, i bought it used and there are all kinds of different screws and nuts and bolts and some are just plain missing, i know i can go on ronayers and order each thing individually but i have seen some kits for other bikes i was just wondering if pre 98's had them too.
    sigpic
    Sgt of Marines
    2003 GSX-R 600

I guess to answer your first question. They are there to regulate the flow of fuel from the tank to the carbs. it is just a valve. cars do not have them since they all have PUMPS that feed the intake system. Bikes (unless fuel injected) are all gravity feeds. Older bikes had an ON, OFF and RES. these older petcocks ALWAYS fed fuel to the carbs. if you did not shut them off if the bike was not running, then eventually the carbs would flood. Newer petcocks have a PRI (for PRIME... this is just like the old ON function), an ON position (this position is now vacuum engaged; meaning fuel will not flow unless the engine is running and there is vacuum applied to the petcock to open the internal valve and let fuel flow) and a RES. The RES is well... the reserve. it gives you a tad bit more fuel (approx a gallon) to get you to the nearest fuel station.

Question 2 I am not sure about. I am sure there are kits out there somewhere. I think Cyberpoet used to have some kits at one point but I could be mistaken. maybe he will chime in.

HTH!!
    I love my Kat!!
    2000 burgandy 750

Comment

#2 Tastynuts.com

Mojoe was talking about doing bolt kits, but I dunno what he's planning to do right now.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

bolt kit http://www.tastynuts.com/acatalog/in...ml&CatalogBody

Comment

#2 - http://www.bikebolts.com/Products/Fairing_Bolt_Kits.htm
          2000 Katana 600
          2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

I just got the Bikebolts kit for my '89 Kat 750 in chrome and it works great. The heads are smaller than stock but there were more than enough bolts in the kit to do the job.
            Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
            Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by Katlover13
              The RES is well... the reserve. it gives you a tad bit more fuel (approx a gallon) to get you to the nearest fuel station.
              Yeah , before fuel gauges this was to let you know when you were low , in case you didn't just keep track of your miles and do the math in your head .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
              X