X

State Inspections

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State Inspections

I just bought a 2001 Kat w/ 3000miles on it, completely stock, and thought there was no way that it would fail inspection. I got the message last night that it had and I can't talk to the mechanic for another couple hours until they open. I was wondering if anyone knew what checklist a motorcycle goes through for inspection.

its usually not very complicated. Usually they just check all the lights, the horn, and tire wear.
    Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

It turns out the handle bars are bent. The bike supposedly fell over in the garage of the guy I bought it from, and it appears that it bent the handle bars. How tough is replacing the handle bars?

Comment

Easy but possibly pricey..
        The bar is just a tube. You can maybe fix it..
        Bend it back..
        Basiclly one screw and loosen the switch pod and out it comes..
        Odd that would fail your inspection.
        KatanaO215 Remember you live in RI
        LOL
        In AZ you have emission testing on bikes.
        (cars go on a rolling road)
        gas caps are tested and all that..

Comment

yeah they are supposed to do all that here too Peter, but usually dont. I know they changed the car tests a few years back and its actually a pretty tough test.

Im wondering how they tested the handlebars? Is it that noticable?
          Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Originally posted by getrdun
            It turns out the handle bars are bent. The bike supposedly fell over in the garage of the guy I bought it from, and it appears that it bent the handle bars. How tough is replacing the handle bars?
            Replacing them is a matter of buying the replacement bar (about $31), undoing the screws (2) that hold the bar to the bike, plus the controls (3 screws) and the bar ends (1 screw, use an impact driver). Reinstall the same parts on the new bar. Having a shop do it will usually set you back about $75 including parts.

As for inspection, it varies place-by-place. Florida has no inspection for motorcycles or cars, Germany has the toughest inspections I've ever seen (everything from rust to seats, brake pads to lights, clutch to exhuast, etc).

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the advice, since it's there I just had the shop replace it. The parts weren't bad but the damn labor was through the roof. Next time I would definitely do it myself.

Comment

We dont have any inspections for vehicles in Oklahoma any more, which really sucks because at least when we had them, you could be sure that everyone had insurance for at least one month of the year.
                2000 Kat 600
                "Fast Blue"
                Pic in Profile

Comment

I just scheduled my Kat for inspection on April 1. Woo Hoo !! I dont forsee any problems with it that I know..bike inspections are pretty basic like the others said.

Man, my yamaha, I took that to a local guy every year that knows the prev. owner. He checked the lights, and tires, and slapped a sticker on.. took all of 15 min. and 5 minutes of that was him trying to get the computer to print out a receipt.

Comment

Sorry I didn't see this sooner! I'm not far away so if you need help again shoot me a message and I'll lend a hand.

Comment

pseudonym--

I appreciate the offer, i'll be sure and take you up if something happens again.

Comment

Working...
                      X