X

Sprocket Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprocket Question

I had a guy tell me today that I should go with a -1 or +1...can't remember....on the front sprocket and not to mess with the front. Are there any beneifits to doing this?

www.vwvortex.com
    I have nothing to say, I have no opinion. That's what I learned from 9 1/2 years of marriage.
    Thanks to all who are serving in our GREAT ARMED FORCES from an old Navy Squid

Usually you want to go down a tooth in the front and then 2 up in the rear. I have -1 in front and stock size in the back. It runs great and repsonse is nice too.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

One down in the front only is a quick mod that gives you a nice little bit of low end pull. It's a must do mod IMHO.

Comment

yea buddy, you get thoes sprockets, and well have them on there in no time, i did mine this winter -1 --+2 i havent ridden it yet but im dying to do it!!

Comment

how much am i looking at?

www.vwvortex.com
          I have nothing to say, I have no opinion. That's what I learned from 9 1/2 years of marriage.

Comment

Find all the answers here:

CyberPoet's Katana Sprocket Ratios and notes...

You can find front 14 tooth sprocket in steel for $35, but I'd rather see you go with a +3 rear than a -1 front because it'll be far better for chain life (and still give you about the same ratio change).

PS - no sense in using aluminum on front sprockets

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

see, this is why i need help. the guys at the shop here are pretty much assholes. i asked them about a slip on for my kat and they said no one makes one for the "katana". i don't like going there and am trying to do as much as i can by myself. is this hard to do? wish someone lived closer. hey DUFF, wanna come down some weekend from school? so which is the best? -1 in the front or +3 in the rear?

www.vwvortex.com

Comment

Originally posted by DJHowie
                see, this is why i need help. the guys at the shop here are pretty much assholes. i asked them about a slip on for my kat and they said no one makes one for the "katana". i don't like going there and am trying to do as much as i can by myself. is this hard to do? wish someone lived closer. hey DUFF, wanna come down some weekend from school? so which is the best? -1 in the front or +3 in the rear?
                (A) There are slip-ons for the Kat.
                (B) Yes, that front sprocket nut is hard. No, it's not difficult, it's just hard to get the nut off -- think impact wrench. If you have access to air tools (even at a friend's or a friend of a friend's), use them. Otherwise, seriously consider forking up $20 - $30 for one of the electrical impact tools from HarborFreight. That nut is on there like a mo-fo if it has never been removed before. You might be able to get it off with a very long cheat (think 6 foot cheat), and a bracing 2x4 through the rear wheel spokes across the swing arm, but I'd rather use the right tool for the job. The loctite on it will mean that it needs an immediate hard hit of real force to break the bond -- you can push gradually all day and it won't give. Read around and you'll see how people grumble and who did what to get it off. Oh, plus you should probably get a new chain with it, so you'll need some way to cut away the old one and a method to join the new one afterwards.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks for the info. which one should i go with thoug? -1 up front or +3 out back? you guys may think i'm kidding about the shop here, but trust me.

www.vwvortex.com

Comment

Oh geez, impact wrenches! DJ, just go down 1 in the front. It is not going to make a noticable difference on your change wear whichever way you go. That nut isn't that hard to get off. Just need a big old socket and maybe a breaker bar. It really isn't that bad. Leave the bike in gear, and if you can have someone put their foot on the brake that will help that much more. Also, you can do the change on the front sprocket without removing the left faring...but it makes it a lot easier as it is in your way and you will have to take out a couple of screws to be able to pull it out enough. If you order a sprocket online, most of the places are really good about getting you what you need. If you order from the dealer, make sure the dumba$$es don't order you a 520 instead of a 530 like you need.

It took me about 20 minutes to change my sprocket. I can't remember the website I ordered it from, but hopefully Matt will chime in a let you know...those guys were great.

Comment

I'm with Cyber on this one, impact wrenches rock! I tried a 6-foot breaker bar, all I managed to do was to break the tools, not get the nut off. The air impact wrench at a garage nearby got it off in no-time (and for free).
                      - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

The breaker bar works great if you are 6'3" and 240 but if you are a little man a impact is the way to go. stick with the -1 in front and leave the rear alone. you don't want to get to radical or you will see issues with fuel mileage and rpm's. Definitely put something across the swingarm through the wheel to keep from the nut turning the engine over. All, Duff get down there and help!!!
                        TDA Racing/Motorsports
                        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                        Who knows what is next?
                        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I guess I sometimes forget about the "little" people. Come on guys, put your backs into it! :P

Comment

Originally posted by AHF
                            I guess I sometimes forget about the "little" people. Come on guys, put your backs into it! :P
                            No dought,
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                            Who knows what is next?
                            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Just remember what the website was...

Shop the best selection of motorcycle chain, sprockets & chain kits at Sprocket Center. We take the guesswork out of replacing your sprockets & chain. Our made-to-order chain kits for all motorcycle makes/models are available in OEM & custom sizes.

Those guys were great, chear, and I had the sprocket in a couple of days. I paid $25.00 shipped to my door for a 14 tooth front.

Comment

Working...
                              X