X

Starter broken?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter broken?

Alright fellas, as I was leaving my work yesterday, went to start the bike (it turned on fine), and nothing. No clicks, buzzes, dimming of the very bright headlights.

I tried holding in the kickstand sensor manually, starting in neutral, nothing at all...

So I think I have a bad starter or the switch came loose.

I was able to push start the bike (luckily I was parked on relatively flat ground).

My question is: Is there anything quick to check FIRST, and other than that, how hard is replacing the starter motor, does that sound like what is bad, etc.

Any advice?

Thanks,
    Crackshot.

After you check the fuses, test the wires that lead to the starter. If they light up, then swap it out. E-bay will save you some bucks!

The starter is easy to swap out. You will have to of course remove the fairings and gas tank to get to it. Just make sure you have some decent tools to reach in there with your socket. It will be very tight to loosen at first but after that, it is gravy.

Just make sure you rule out the battery being strong enough first.
    "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
    JOHN 16:33

Comment

Did you check the starter relay? If you were able to bump start it, it's probably not the kill switch or sidestand sensor.

Got a volt meter to see how many volts the battery is putting out.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

You should check the starter relay and wiring first. I am quite sure the fault lies there. Starter itself can't brake up like that, if the coil starts to burn down then the fuse blows and you will smell burning.

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaSoldier
          The starter is easy to swap out. .
          Are you speaking from experience? Because when I thought my starter was going I could barely see the bolts holding it in.. It looked like the carbs had to come out to them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
            Originally posted by KatanaSoldier
            The starter is easy to swap out. .
            Are you speaking from experience? Because when I thought my starter was going I could barely see the bolts holding it in.. It looked like the carbs had to come out to them out.

Shamefully, yes! When I first got the Kat and was about to go TDY for a few weeks, I wanted to hear her start up before I left I had only had her for a few days (I know everyone remembers that feeling). Well I managed to flood the carbs then I kept trying and trying and trying to start it until the starter fried

So I had 2 weeks to think about it and when I came back, the previous owner came over and we swapped it out. The e-bay starter was there waiting for me when I got back home from TDY so that is the only good news about it. The previous owner gave me a nice how to lesson on everything from starting it, to if it floods, to the maximum time trying to start it, to, well I could go on and on. He is a very nice dude and I am actually glad that happened as he gave me about 15 years of his lessons learned when riding It was a $60 e-bay lesson

Wanna hear about when I stripped the oil pan? That was my $120 + gasket Ron Ayers lesson

typo edits
            "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."

Comment

Soooo how did you get to the screws? A long extension?
              Tiny hands?

Comment

It's not hard to do... but I dunno if I could do it without taking the carbs off.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

If everything else checks out and it is your starter. I've got a good one for a 98+ in my hand right now I can ship out the same or next day. KatanaSoldier hit the price just about right. This one is marked at $71 but considering your longtime KR.... $65 to your door. PM me if you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                    Soooo how did you get to the screws? A long extension?
                    Tiny hands?
                    Regular socket, which made it real tight and I could barely turn it. Hey, it gave me an excuse to invest in a better set! I wear size L gloves so my hands are not caveman big but are not that small either. It was a tight fit.

Comment

Wait .... "no clicks , no buzzes , no nothin" ? Gee , even with a dead battery you'll hear the starter selenoid clicking .......
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Md is right.. You still have an interlock somewhere..
                        Kill switch??

Hey I have done it..

Comment

Check for 12v at the starter terminal from the battery.
                          Check for 12v on the solenoid terminal when you push the start button.
                          If you have 12v at those 2 spots then there is a starter or solenoid problem.

If you don't have 12v going to the solenoid then you need to check for interruptions between the solenoid and the switch and also if there is power to the switch.

Comment

Working...
                          X