X

brake caliper question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake caliper question

will the front brake calipers form and 98+ katana 600 fit on a pre 98 600?

No the brake calipers have a different bolt pattern and wont fit a pre98 forks.
    '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

sorry for the hi-jack! how about the post-98 rotors? does it fit with the stock pre-98 wheels/calipers?
      PAUL
      93 GSXF6 PIX.

"Opinions are like A$$holes, Everybody has one"

Comment

Yes the 98+ Front Rotors will fit only. The rear is completely different bolt pattern. With that said the front rotors from a 98+ will bolt right up. I have them on my bike, and I know BraadaJim has themon his. That is how I knew they would fit. He put them on his.
        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Thanks HS2020. guess its time to go e-bay!
          PAUL
          93 GSXF6 PIX.

"Opinions are like A$$holes, Everybody has one"

Comment

will post 98 forks fit on the pre 98 trees, or maybe GSXR forks?

Comment

If you want to swap 98+ forklegs you need 98+ triple tree, 98+ brake lines and 98+ brake calipers. In addition different year Kats use different steering head bearings(some tapered,some round) so it's best to replace them as well.

The gsxr frontend requires an entire swap wheel to triple tree.

I put a 98+ frontend on my pre98 kat. Here are all the details.

Comment

thanks for the info Florexa

Comment

did you use the forks form a 600, or 750? Are they the same?

Comment

I used 98+ 600 forklegs. I know the 750 forklegs are the same length and diameter, but I don't know if the internals/spring are different.

I forgot to mention 2003-2005 use different tripletree/forklegs/axle.
                    I used components from 1998-2002 kat 600.

Comment

so if I wanted to go with GSX-R swap, I'd need:
                      Wheel, Forks, and tripple trees.
                      How about brakes? will I need calipers, lines and MC? Will the katana clip-ons and handle bar controls work?
                      Can I get away with the katana bars and caontrols? Please list every part I would need, also what years will bolt on to a 88-97 600 katana frame?

Comment

At first I want to say I would not recommend the Gixxer-swap being 7 solid cm's shorter...
                        If you like to rail, groundclearance will become a dangerous issue (apart from less stability while riding straight on)
                        If you would like to do it anyway you should be ready to swap a "92 gixxer frontend, which includes
                        the triple tree, yoke, clipons, fender, rotors, rim, calipers and mc, the handlebars and controls will work, consider the rest as a loss... (try to sell it on ebay)

Comment

Originally posted by kwebbel
                          At first I want to say I would not recommend the Gixxer-swap being 7 solid cm's shorter...
                          If you like to rail, groundclearance will become a dangerous issue (apart from less stability while riding straight on)
                          If you would like to do it anyway you should be ready to swap a "92 gixxer frontend, which includes
                          the triple tree, yoke, clipons, fender, rotors, rim, calipers and mc, the handlebars and controls will work, consider the rest as a loss... (try to sell it on ebay)
                          So how are you liking your new front end Kwebbel?

Comment

I have to agree with kwebbel. IMHO the GSXR frontend swapp just isn't a good idea. Lowering the frontend 2 3/4 inches or 7cm is going to have a negative impact on the handling not to mention ground clearance.

Comment

so my best bet would be what:
                              Post 98 forks sent out to race-tech
                              or
                              the pre 98 forks sent to race tech
                              will the post 98 swap make a valid difference?
                              or is sending the pre 98 forks to race tech just as good?

Comment

Working...
                              X