X

jet kit question.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jet kit question.

As most of you know I just bought an 89 zx750r and it came with a vahns&hines pipe and a set of pod filters. The guy that I bought it from said that he had to put on the pods when he removed the carbs and had to cut off the air box. He also said that it was jetted for the pipe when he bought it but I am worried if it wasnt I will damage the engine. My question is will it cause damage to use the pods if it was not jetted? also is there any way of checking to see if it was jetted. I am planning on rebuilding the carbs this weekend and I dont want to buy the jetkit if I dont have to.
    PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
    The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Sounds like you are screwed.
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
      The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

If it hasn't been jetted, you'll likely be running lean which should in turn make the engine run a little hotter. I've been told in the past that if you run too lean for too long you run the risk of burning up your valves.

Comment

Re: jet kit question.

Originally posted by UFO8MyCow
          My question is will it cause damage to use the pods if it was not jetted? also is there any way of checking to see if it was jetted. I am planning on rebuilding the carbs this weekend and I dont want to buy the jetkit if I dont have to.
          There are two ways to check it.
          The first way is to hook it up to an exhaust gas analyzer -- if the ranges are correct across the RPM spectrum, it's been jetted and tuned and you shouldn't mess with it. This is pretty much the easy way, as there is no disassembly required -- and virtually every automotive garage will have an exhaust gas tester you can use for a couple minutes for $10.
          The second way is to check a factory manual for what the jets should be and then disassemble the carbs and compare the jetting size numbers stamped or cut into the jets themselves.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yes it will hurt the engine if left in this very lean state of tune, but it will take a while. You WILL need a jetkit to optimize the fuel mix now that there's way less restriction with the pods.

Mike
            '01 Bandit 1200
            '82 Yamaha XT250

Comment

Working...
            X