X

A few Q's ..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few Q's ..

Just got done doing the mesh on my 05' kat 600.. Man that simple mod makes a world of difference. The guy down the street from me who owns a stock gixxr 750 was impressed by the look.. Thanks KR. !!

Anyway, here are a few q's I have.

#1 __ Do you HAVE to have front blinkers on a bike? I was thinking about taking off the bubbly looking front blinkers and putting mesh screen there, make it look like a custom intake port or would the local cops hastle me? I mean I have rear in blinkers intergrated into my tail light, never got hastled about them not showing..?!?

#2 __ Just got my RK 520 120link chain today.. I went -1 in the front and +3 in the rear(14/50). Did I accidently order the wrong size chain? I mean I have read if you go up in the back, you go up in links, on your chain.. But, here is what I was thinking. If I went -1 in the front, that's 117 links, and if I go up +3 in the rear thats 120 links, correct..? Soo, if I ordered a wrong chain size, being too long. couldn't I just adj. it with the rear wheel adjustments?

#3 __ Ordering Ivans Jet Kit this friday(payday).. I haven't got the special tools, but I did find the carb tuner a friend uses on his goldwing. Only thing i'm gray on is the mm adjustments I have to make on the floats. I've read this a million times :: https://www.motorcycleanchor.com/kat...inc/jetkit.htm :: He goes into detail on how to do the jet kit, but stops on how to go about tune them w/ a carb tuner, etc I assume Ivan's kit comes w/ instructions.
    I've emailed Ivan, but he's not responding to me. Guess i'm to squiddy for him.. lol
    I went to a shop today and asked a guy who builds race bikes here locally. He told me he would charge me $45 per hour to do the kit, and I'm looking at a minimum of 3-4 hours, about $180 bucks. Then he added it could be another 1-3 hours dialing it in 100%, as he's a perfectionist. Well, i'm just a working man, not mr. money bags. For that price I can get my rims powder coated.
    So I guess my long winded question is: should I attempt this when the kit gets here, or suffer and squid out and pay the extra $200 bucks..?

Comments welcome

thanks KR !!

I don't know about the turn sginals...

#2: The stock chain on the kats are a 530, not a 520, so unless you did a 520 conversion then you got the wrong chain pitch (width). You got the length right, just the wrong pitch. For future reference chains can only be even numbered links.

#3: 3-4 hours to do a jet kit?!?! +1-2 more for tuning?? I dunno about that...the whole job took me 2 hours, and that was my first one...
    I would do it yourself, save you the money, and you'll end up learning about your bike a little bit. I did a jet kit myself without ever having worked on a bike before, you just have to take your time, and if you have any questions someone on here will definitely be able to help you out. Ivan's kit doesn't really come with instructions. But it's the same thing as the dyno one they put in on cyber's How To. As far as the floats go, mines an 05 and didn't need to be adjusted, the stock height is 13mm, the jet kit calls for the same measurement. I'm not sure where you are located but you may even be able to get a local KR member to help you out.

Good luck!
    Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
    18v Rigid Drill
    Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

To #1, if you have yearly inspection laws then be ready.

Also, you are giving the cops probable cause to pull you over at will. Although I am not positive, there is probably something on the books there indicating mandatory equipment in all vehicles. Might be worth looking into. Then again, it would probably be a fix it type ticket where you just have a cop verify it is fixed and the off you go to going back to the way it was.

I have seen that mod and it does look nice.
      "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
      JOHN 16:33

Comment

Thanks.. I'm reading on jetting right now, on KR. A great thread on here www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19942

But all the pics are dead links.. I'm one of those, need a pic to help me along.. O'h well. I'm learning..

As for the chain, I think I DID order the wrong one. These are the sprockets I ordered.

Vortex Racing sprocket(s) for SUZUKI GSX600F 98-05
        * Rear Teeth: 50
        * Part Num: 528-50
        * Front Teeth: 14
        * Part Num: 3521-14

I think I clicked on the wrong link to order the chain.. I need the 530 120 link.. Crap.. Cause this is the chain I got in today..
        GB520GXW/120 RK Takasago GB520 GOLD 520 CHAIN w Rivet..

Well, let's hope sumofallparts.com has a good return policy.. Glad I asked before installing. That woulda been a $100 mistake..

EDIT I found this chain on 58cycle.com :

This IS the chain I want, well the correct chain for what sprockets I bought, right??

Comment

Blinkers....

And if he thinks it'll take him 3 hours to do a simple jet kit , go somplace else . should take someone who knows whate they're doing and has proper tools MAYBE 1.5 hrs .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

As far as the jet kit goes just install it yourself. If the floats where right before the jet kit, they will be right after. No mechanics needed for an Ivan jet kit trust me on that one. as for syncing the carbs after you could always pick up a cheap set of vacuum gauges at JC whitney.com and do it yourself.
            Here is the link to the carb sync.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Yep, thats the chain you'll need.
              Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
              18v Rigid Drill
              Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
              New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys, i REALLY do appreciate it..

Jet Kit.. I was able to get a vaccume guage from a guy at work who rides goldwings. It's a mercury guage w/ 4-tubes. The tubes are about 18-20 inches long and the guage is around 12 inches long. Should work fine..
                Just got another email from the guy I was going to have my jet kit done by.. now he told me atleast 6 hours. SOOooo screw that. I'm doing it myself. I'm sure you'll be hearing me panic on the boards when it comes time to tweek them.. lol.. hope not..

Chain.. Got the chain in the mail today, the wrong one, as mentioned. But I ordered that 530 chain from 58cycle.com. So It should be another week before I get to put the bike together.. Then again the sprockets come Thursday, so I can atleast get them all on and torqued up..

Blinker.. Thanks for the MSF sheet. !! Says nothing about blinkers at all.. Wonder if I'll get away with it??
                I was thinking of going ahead and taking them off and screening them. If I get hastled by johnny law I could always JB-Weld a little bulb behind the screen and run it to the oem blinker wires.. I think I might do that..

Haha.. While writting this post, I just got another email from that jetkit shop. He now wants $65hr @ 5-6 hours min. to do the kit.. Daaamn.. Thats powder coated rims there. Again, I'll do it on my own, now that i'm getting all the tools i need from friends. Just need a master link rivet tool and i'm set to go !!

thanks again KR, you rock !!

Comment

Originally posted by AzCyco

Blinker.. Thanks for the MSF sheet. !! Says nothing about blinkers at all.. Wonder if I'll get away with it??
                  I was thinking of going ahead and taking them off and screening them. If I get hastled by johnny law I could always JB-Weld a little bulb behind the screen and run it to the oem blinker wires.. I think I might do that..

Hey whatever works bro!
                  "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                  JOHN 16:33

Comment

You do not need turn sugnals in arizona. However without having front turn signals you are required to give hand signals.
                    ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯ `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸

``·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´

Comment

I give hand signals now.. might not be the right ones, but I do give them..

Hey lady get off the damn cell and look where yer going !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Qweezark
                        You do not need turn sugnals in arizona. However without having front turn signals you are required to give hand signals.
                        Right . ALOT of states are that way . But alot of the COPS might not know , so I printed that sheet and keep it in my bags . PLUS , most cagers have NO idea what you're flailing about for , so when you signal for a turn , they'll just think you're being friendly and waving , or are road-ragin" and giving some rude gesutre .

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                          Originally posted by Qweezark
                          Right . ALOT of states are that way . But alot of the COPS might not know , so I printed that sheet and keep it in my bags . PLUS , most cagers have NO idea what you're flailing about for , so when you signal for a turn , they'll just think you're being friendly and waving , or are road-ragin" and giving some rude gesutre .
                          As long as the cops see you giving the "proper" signals you're ok. Who cares what the other people on the road think... most of them need to learn how to drive anywayz... screw em!
                          ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯ `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸

``·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´

Comment

Says the guy who got a 75% on the driver's ed thread .

Comment

Originally posted by AzCyco
                              Just got another email from the guy I was going to have my jet kit done by.. now he told me atleast 6 hours.

Haha.. While writting this post, I just got another email from that jetkit shop. He now wants $65hr @ 5-6 hours min. to do the kit.. Daaamn.. Thats powder coated rims there.

thanks again KR, you rock !!
                              Sounds like your local bike builder needs to pay for the powder coating on one of his new pet projects frames since he started off at 45/hr in your original post. I'd do the rebuild myself, get it running sweet, drive by and tell him Nah, I did it myself, then leave a nice fat tiremark out of his drive for others to envy and wonder. Tho he sounds like he'd probably claim the burn as coming from one of his latest toys to boast with.
                              If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                              Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Working...
                              X