X

Oil Change Q...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Change Q...

I just did my first oil change at home. No, not the bikes 1st oil & Filter. But my first time doing it at home.. Saved $40+ bucks too.. Dealership was $77 ea. time..

Anyway.. I changed the oil and filter, simple enough. I added 3.7ish quarts of 20/50 Castrol(summer time oil). I ran the bike @ idle for about 2-3 mins let it sit for about 5 mins. I look at the oil window and the oil level is even w/ the FULL mark.. It's on the center stand and the bike is level.. I'm worried I added too much oil. Should I take some out.. ?? I was VERY carefull when measuring the new oil when putting it in..

Guess I'll wait for a reply before riding, as I'd hate to screw something up..

Thanks KR..!!

Take it off the center stand and remeasure. 3.7 actually seems low to me.

Comment

Ok, I'm going to go out in the garage and check it again.. Thank you !

Comment

You should be finewith it level after waiting 5 minutes for it to settle. Just continue to check it before each ride.

Be careful not to over tighten and strip your pan when you change the oil yourself. Learn from my mistake!
        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
        JOHN 16:33

Comment

In other words, get a fumoto valve and you will never have to worry about it again.
          "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."

Comment

Yeah don't worry about it. A little over the full mark is ok. Just don't let the level run too low and you'll be fine.
            Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
            - Albert Einstein

Comment

I think it'll be fine as long as you have a bit of space in the oil sight glass. What I mean is as long as the sight glass isn't fully filled with oil you should be fine. And +1 on the Fumoto valve, it's a great mod.
              R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Thanks for the info guys... I feel better.

I just took the bike off the center stand. Looked again. Seemed to be ok, but I coulda been holding the bike too far to the right. I put a 2x6 under the kickstand and eyed it level, the oil level still hits the F in the window. If I lean the bike back 1" to the left it reads in the middle of F & L.. I guess I just got scared. what a whimp, huh.. lol

I mean I added the correct amount of oil, so I shouldn't freak out.. Thanks again for the fast responce guys.. !!

edit:: I WILL be investing in a Fumoto valve today.. Going to go online tonight and buy one. So the next oil change I'll be ready.. I know whn I was tightening the oil drain plug back in, I kept hearing a voice in the back of my head "Doooooon't oveeer tiiighten"..

Comment

I believe it's an F-111 you'll need for your bike.
                  R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by AzCyco
                    edit:: I WILL be investing in a Fumoto valve today.. Going to go online tonight and buy one. So the next oil change I'll be ready.. I know whn I was tightening the oil drain plug back in, I kept hearing a voice in the back of my head "Doooooon't oveeer tiiighten"..

Man I needed that voice last year. It would have saved me about 120 bucks

Comment

Odd , usually when I change MY oil it takes a little more than 4 quarts ..... Did you put on a new crush washer ? You can sometimes get away with reusing them , but they're cheap anyway .....
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                      X