X

Carb HELP.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb HELP.

My carbs were overfilled with fuel (the bike tumbled over... long story) (The bike would start afterwards but it had no power even with the thortle rolled all the way and it would stall if you gave it too much gas) so had to clean my carbs (took the casings off and blew the carb cleaner in all the little holes, I didn't actually take the jets appart because there was no residue anywhere in the carbs...I just had to make sure that all the fuel was out). So I put everything back together and now the dang thing won't start. I had it on prime for a while (few minutes or so) and the engine turns over but it just wont start it is as if it has no gas at all. I quadruple checked the fuel line connections and the vacum and everything is securely together.

This is what I did to try and start it:

Pressed the starter for 3-5 sec about 10 different times.

I even tried to open up the choke and give it gas but to no awail..

It just won't start....

So if anybody had ANY suggestions, even if they are common sense (I might have overlooked something very simple) please contribute...

thanks

Try full choke, and no throttle. I had the same problem with mine as soon as it got cold. I was giving it gas with full choke and it would never start.

Comment

Well an update...

I sprayed some starting fluid into the air box and the engine started...but it died 4 seconds after and it woulndn't start again....

It sounds like there is no gas in the engine... I don't get it..

There is at least a gallon of fuel in the egine...

well try again tomorow..

Comment

Originally posted by indecent
        Well an update...

I sprayed some starting fluid into the air box and the engine started...but it died 4 seconds after and it woulndn't start again....

i know people that have killed engines with this stuff use it lightly it is realy made for a desil engine
        it would not be any fun if it was easy! but does it have to be this much fun!!
        Give A Person Expetations To Live Up To Not to A Reputition To Live Down !!

Comment

Are you sure that you've hooked up the lines from the tank properly, and that they aren't kinked or blocked?

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

You dropped the bike , so gas probably got into the combustion chamber and fouled the plugs . Happens all the time . Try changing them and UI bet it starts right up . You MIGHT be able to get by with just brushing them off , but if you already have a spare set , I'd try them .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

(A) Whenever the bike goes over, the carb bowls drain out (usually into the engine via the cylinders). When you get the bike back upright, you need to set the fuel petcock to prime for 60 seconds to refill the bowls... otherwise you're just running the starter with empty bowls and they won't fill up enough to work for a long time. This almost guaranteedly is why the bike won't start if it is turning over (if it's not turning over, then suspect the clutch sensor cable or other safety-interlock).

(B) If there is fuel in your oil, pull the plugs, change the oil, change the oil filter, then put a tablespoon of oil into each cylinder -- BEFORE you try to fire it up again. Leave the plugs out and turn the engine over several times. Then put the plugs back in, PRIME and retry. You have two possible issues from fuel going into the cylinders as a liquid:
              1. Liquid fuel still in the cylinder keeping it from compressing right, and
              2. Liquid fuel at the rings ate away the oil at the rings, so there is metal-on-metal contact at the next start-up (that's why you put oil in the cylinders via the spark plug holes -- to relube that boundary).

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well if anybody cares I started the f****** bike...but not after I had taken the carbs off again and went tru inch by inch making sure I didn't screw something up.

So this is what went wrong....

1. Come to find out my throttle cable was stuck so the whole time I was trying to start it it was letting lots and lots of fuel in so I flooded my carbs from the get go.

2. I didn't notice this orginally but one of the screws for the top of the carb had different thread then the rest so it didn't sit in properly and most likely caused loss of vacum.

Two weeks later.... ITS ALIVE...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Of course we care , and it's nice that you got it running ! It's always a good feeling to figure that stuff out by yourself , ain't it ?
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                    X