X

back firing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back firing

O.k here's the probleme i found out that someone put bike on prime all winter and 3 gal of gas got into my oil.....ouch ...ya i flushed that out twice now . Now it will not start it still cranks but backfurers out of the exhaust and the air box ..Does anybody have any suggestions ? ....Would it do that if i fouled a plug or four..

Thanks
    sigpic

Typically it only backfires out the air cleaner if you have the plug wire on in the wrong order... I'd check that first and make sure you got everythign right. If that's not it then I couldn't tell ya.
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯ `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸

``·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´

Comment

You have an '06, which means three things:

(A) it's probably still under warantee -- if so, get the local Suzuki shop to rectify the problem (it shouldn't leak fuel into the oil even set to prime all winter, unless one or more of the carb floats are stuck [from a spill] or set improperly [from someone working on them perhaps?]);

(B) The airbox has a drain hose attached to it that exits by the right footpeg for the driver. Put your old-oil container under it and open the clamp and remove the plug. Let it drain for about five minutes, then recap it (before you start the engine -- that plug should always be in when starting & running). If you accessed your carbs for any reason, you may have forgotten to reconnect the airbox drain hose -- which would give you problematic starting and a really rough idle.

(C) Most likely, the carbs themselves are empty (having evaporated what was in their float bowls after the tank emptied), and any fuel left in the tank is so probably so old that it won't detonate. The solution is fairly simple: get rid of the old fuel, put in fresh fuel and then set the fuel selector back to PRIME for about 30 seconds, followed by going back to ON afterwards. This will refill your dry float bowls. You should be ready to start afterwards if everything else is good.

KNOW THIS:
      If your carbs flowed fuel into the engine, the floats' height in the carb's float bowls are wrong. You really should address this before you do anything else.
      Without fuel in it, the gas tank may have built up a layer of rust. If so, you really should treat that as well before proceeding (see my how to deal with rust in your motorcycle's gas tank page.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Re: back firing

Originally posted by clownin
        Now it will not start it still cranks but backfurers out of the exhaust and the air box ..Does anybody have any suggestions ? ....Would it do that if i fouled a plug or four..

Thanks
        Yes . The raw gas will have "washed" the cylinders and you'll wanna do something about that . Pull plugs , dribble a little oil into the cylinder with a straw (not much) , turn engine over by hand (put in 6th gear and turn wheel) , put in new plugs .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
        X