X

Exhaust Paint

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jax
    Cyber---can this powder coat be applied to regular non exhaust parts also? Is there any other benefit to the ceramic/aluminum mixture, in other words is it a harder finish?
    Unlike traditional powdercoats (which are plastic or epoxy-based), the ceramic/aluminum comes out looking like metal (shiny) and has a very high heat tolerance (since it doesn't contain plastics in that sense). In theory, it could be applied to any surface that can be powdercoated (i.e. -- surfaces that can be electrically charged to attract the coating material during the spray operation and can stand the bake temps required). Note that the bake temps for the ceramic/aluminum combo is two to five times higher than many of the other types of powdercoat, usually in excess of 1000 degrees (F) for several hours.
    You should be able to find more details by looking for powdercoating vendors' websites.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
      Why not just buy a new exhaust??
      If you want a specific color..blue, green, orange, yellow...new exhaust is probably more expensive than just getting the old one, in decent shape, powder coated....it the "bling" effect...
      Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
      Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by Jax
        If you want a specific color..blue, green, orange, yellow...new exhaust is probably more expensive than just getting the old one, in decent shape, powder coated....it the "bling" effect...
        You can't just "powdercoat" an exhaust... the heat issues mean only the ceramic/aluminum "jetcoat" style coating can be used as a powdercoat -- which eliminates the color options (as far as I am aware).

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Ever see the Buell X1 lightnings for about 2001 era? They have blue coated exhaust headers. So did the late John Britten's V1000 racer. colors are out there, but I imagine they're pricey and not as easily available.

Mike
          '01 Bandit 1200
          '82 Yamaha XT250

Comment

I used an exhaust paint the exact color of the Britten, I used it on the Toyota, worked super!!
            I forget who made it though.

I used the BBQ paint too, worked well.
            For 125-300 smackers I'd spend it getting a new pipe.

Comment

Last time I checked , a couple cans of spraypaint were ALOT cheaper than a complete exhaust system . Wasteful Canadians
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by BlackB12
                Ever see the Buell X1 lightnings for about 2001 era? They have blue coated exhaust headers. So did the late John Britten's V1000 racer. colors are out there, but I imagine they're pricey and not as easily available.

Mike
                I wonder if they used a stainless steel or nickel header and then "blued" it using a gun-blue? Just speculating; I haven't seen it...

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

That's a big negative there Cyber on blueing polished stainless. It is powdercoated. Might be stainless but there is a powder coating over top of it. See pic.

'01 Bandit 1200
                  '82 Yamaha XT250

Comment

The Britten was definatly paint..
                    It was a candy blue flat..
                    As I remember that paint came in Pink too..
                    LOL
                    It was the 80's LOL

Comment

Originally posted by BlackB12
                      That's a big negative there Cyber on blueing polished stainless. It is powdercoated. Might be stainless but there is a powder coating over top of it. See pic.

http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?...ticleId=229670
                      I'll have to ask at my powdercoater's about that... We've been looking at new coatings for the motorcycle anchors (imagine this: I found a glow-in-the-dark powdercoating good for 6 to 10 hours of afterglow!); maybe he knows where to find blue-colored aluminum/ceramic coatings(?). I could see it making sense if the aluminum or the ceramic portions are pre-colored before the spray application.

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                      X