X

Exhaust Paint

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Paint

Im ready to sand and re-paint my exhaust for my old katana but am stuck on which paint to use. The last paint I used wasn't at all nice looking when the paint was dry. It collected dirt a lot more than before I painted it. Any help on the painting?
    1989 Suzuki Katana 750

Go get some Hi-temp engine paint. I used that along with a good Hi-temp primer. Make sure you wipe them down before painting to ensure no oil or anything is on them. Even the oils from your hand will affect the paint. Hang them up and spray away. I tried using a low gloss look, but it sucked. Go with the gloss look. It iwll turn out alot better. You can ask Mekoil about the header paint. I sold him my old system. I may have missed a spot or 2 but it did turn out ok.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I have had really good results with DupliColor. I painted my swing arm with their high gloss ceramic engine paint and it's hard as a rock once it finally cures. I have had really good luck with their other engine paints as well. Make sure to read the directions and follow them closely. http://www.duplicolor.com/

Comment

what color are you looking to paint it. ?

Comment

I recommend finding a powder-coater who can do ceramic-based powdercoating (also called "JetCoating") and let them at it. They'll sand blast off all the old rust, so you won't get rust-through, the pipes will run cooler on the outsides (and thus increase the exhaust gas speeds on the insides), and life will be good.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

+1 on the powdercoat idea.

Comment

Im re-painting it black.

Poet, I've never heard the term "powder-coater" before. Or even the jet coating. How would I go about looking for the powder coater?

And how much do you think it would cost me to do that? I would assume a lot from a pre-concieved notion.
              1989 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by 89katana750
                Im re-painting it black.

Poet, I've never heard the term "powder-coater" before. Or even the jet coating. How would I go about looking for the powder coater?

And how much do you think it would cost me to do that? I would assume a lot from a pre-concieved notion.
                A powder coater is a firm or individual who applies and bakes on powder coatings. You look in the yellow pages or visit www.superpages.com (search term: powder coating) to find someone in your area.
                I'd guess it would run anywhere from $125 - $300, depending on how much prep work needs to be done and what the rates are in your area (I get a price break because of quantity and fall on the low end of the range).

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The best exhaust paint I've ever used was Rustoleum BarB-Q Black. Yeah it's made for gas grills, but it works incredibly well on bike exhausts. In my experience it works way better than the special "high temp exhaust paint" at auto supply stores. Make sure the pipes are CLEAN, then spray on a thick coat. It will smoke while you're riding but this is what fully cures the paint. After a few rides it will stop smoking/smelling.

MIke
                  '01 Bandit 1200
                  '82 Yamaha XT250

Comment

BlackB12---I used a hightemp engine paint...and the one thing no one mentions, which you did, is the curing of the paint....mine smelled aweful for a few rides and smoked quite a bit...but after it cured it was nice...Don't know if powder coating will cause the same effect??
                    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by Jax
                      BlackB12---I used a hightemp engine paint...and the one thing no one mentions, which you did, is the curing of the paint....mine smelled aweful for a few rides and smoked quite a bit...but after it cured it was nice...Don't know if powder coating will cause the same effect??
                      Since powdercoating is cured at the powdercoater's (in an oven with a controlled temp for that particular type of powdercoat), there should be no residual smell once it's reinstalled.

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well since powder coating involves baking the parts, it should be fully cured before the bike is run. It's not just regular powder coating either. Make sure it's actually made for exhausts. Jett Hott and HPC are two popular companies that do exhaust coatings.

Mike
                        '01 Bandit 1200
                        '82 Yamaha XT250

Comment

Originally posted by BlackB12
                          Well since powder coating involves baking the parts, it should be fully cured before the bike is run. It's not just regular powder coating either. Make sure it's actually made for exhausts. Jett Hott and HPC are two popular companies that do exhaust coatings.
                          BlackB12 is correct that is not the same as regular powdercoating, but it is applied via the standard powdercoat method, and any powdercoater with a curing oven that can get hot enough can apply it properly (it is readily available via their standard vendors as a coating; it's an aluminum + ceramic mixture; the only special treatment is a higher-temp cure than standard powdercoats).

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Cyber---can this powder coat be applied to regular non exhaust parts also? Is there any other benefit to the ceramic/aluminum mixture, in other words is it a harder finish?
                            Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                            Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Why not just buy a new exhaust??

Comment

Working...
                              X