X

Slow oil leak

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow oil leak

Last time that I changed the oil on my 2000 Kat 600 (11000 miles), I noticed that the oil pan seems to be wet in oil and dirt. I tried to look at where it is coming from and it appers as it is coming somewhere from underneath the pan on the left side of the bike. It's not much since the garage floor is clean, however the lower fairing is definitely showing signs of a slow leak. Is it common to develop such a leak or could it be sometning else? I'm assuming that dropping the pan and replacing the gasket would fix the issue, however I figured that I would check with the experts first.

When was the last time you replaced the crush washer on your oil drain plug? They say everytime you change the oil it is best to replace this little gasket. It may not be leaking when sitting, but only when you are out riding and pressure is up on the engine. I was having a similar problem with mine leaking oil. Mine was coming from the valve cover. I had 3 bolts stripped out, one cam holder cracked, and the gasket was shot under the cover. Got this all fixed and now no more leak. So I would start with the crush washer, and go from there. Also make sure not to over fill the bike with oil. If you do it has to have some place to go and it will.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I just discovered where mine is leaking from..
      I had to clean the snot out of the engine to be sure..
      Mine is leaking from the clutch pushrod gasket..

Oil speads and may be dripping from a place other then where it is leaking. Do like I did and clean the engine very well. Especialy around the covers, dont forget to take off the clutch cover (where the shifter and clutch cable are) Then take a spin.
      The increased heat plus higher oil pressure may reveal the leak. BTW, to remove the clutch cover you only need to remove the shifter link not the foot lever or the clutch cable.
      You will need to clean the engine before replacing gaskets anyway, may as well get a head start.

Comment

I just put a new washer the time I discovered the leak. However it seems as the oit is coming from under the pan. Maybe the air flow just pushed it to make it seem that way. Since it is only a few drops at a time, it's no big deal yet.

Comment

Depending on the brand of oil filter and how tight you made it, the oil leak that seems to be at the pan could be at the oil filter and working it's way down and back. For the factory oil filter, the correct setting is 2 full rotations from the point of initial contact between the rubber seal on the oil filter and the block.

Or, the oil pan drain bolt could be partially stripped. If you did not use a torque wrench to set the drain bolt torque when you put it back in, get it checked, as it is a particularly easy bolt to strip (16.5 lb-ft) or leave too loose (anything below about 15 lb-ft will loosen on it's own), and the first signs of stripping are very slow leaks -- until it vibrates out while driving and dumps most of the hot oil in your bike right in front of your rear tire as you are moving (high probability for an accident in such a scenario).

And, yes, there are other places on the engine that can leak oil, but none that should be leaking oil on a Katana engine (unlike some engines, Kat engines are not inherently prone to leakage by design).

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have used a OEM Suzuki oil filter (damn thing cost me over $20) and I have been filling up with Castrol Actevo patrially syntetic. I religiously stick to the 16.5ft lbs so I don't think that this is the issue. Once it gets warm, I'll strip the bike down and try to locate the source of the trouble. I thought small leaks may be common in that area, but I guess not.

Comment

Mine srung a leak in the pan itself a couple years ago . I had to take it off and patch it with some JB Kwik . Just another possibility for ya . Oh yeah , that patch lasted for about 2 years until the exhaust bolt punched a hole in it , so don't anyone tell me that's not a good idea !
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by tmsz
                I have used a OEM Suzuki oil filter (damn thing cost me over $20) and I have been filling up with Castrol Actevo patrially syntetic. I religiously stick to the 16.5ft lbs so I don't think that this is the issue. Once it gets warm, I'll strip the bike down and try to locate the source of the trouble. I thought small leaks may be common in that area, but I guess not.
                Stripping it and cleaning the surfaces with a degreaser or dish detergent, then drying it will let you spot the leak easier. The best thing to do is to do it now, while it's still cold and the bike isn't moving -- give it more time to leak and spot it.

PS - the filters are cheaper online, buy in advance (www.ronayers.com, etc) or find a different dealer in the area -- $20 is too much for the stock filter (my local dealer gets like $14 and that's high).

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by "The CyberPoet
                  $20 is too much for the stock filter (my local dealer gets like $14 and that's high).

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Tell me about it. I paid $43 for oil and filter. I know that they charge too much but I did not know how much too much. Also buying 1 item online does not always save since the shipping is $6. That's why I telnd to give the local guy a chance.

Comment

... Also buying 1 item online does not always save since the shipping is $6. That's why I telnd to give the local guy a chance.
                    I try to buy local when it makes sense as well, but sometimes they just try to take you to the cleaners. The last time I picked up oil change supplies I got them from Dennis Kirk. I could get synthetic blend for the cost of dino oil at the dealer. It helped that I had other things to buy so I ended up getting free shipping.

Comment

That's why I telnd to give the local guy a chance.
                      If you know you're going to need 4 oil filters this year, buy them all at once. They don't go bad Oil is often cheaper in larger volumes as well.

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

And, yes, there are other places on the engine that can leak oil, but none that should be leaking oil on a Katana engine (unlike some engines, Kat engines are not inherently prone to leakage by design).
                        Mine must be the exception!!!
                        PICSSSS!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X