X

Cleaning Chain & Lubing Cables

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Chain & Lubing Cables

1. How do you clean the chain? Like what should I use?

2. How often should I lube my cables, (like throttle, clutch)?
    if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

I clean my chain about every 300 to 500 miles.. take some kerosene and clean all the dirt/residue off, then lube it good with something like belray lube. I use that, works well for me, doesnt fling. Just be sure to have the chain warm for a quick ride, when you lube it up.

Comment

thanks N4S thats one good answer. how bout another

Comment

I thought that the owners manual recommends every 250 miles between chain cleanings, but I am not sure. I use a Moose chain scrubber. The Moose chain cleaner does a great job. The srubber gets the big stuff off then I usually wipe it down with a rag then used the scrubber again. I use Maxima chain wax.

I have never lubed the cables, so I am looking forward to seeing how others do it.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn

I have never lubed the cables, so I am looking forward to seeing how others do it.

I will tell Mr. Speed to check this thread out and give you all some pointers.

-- Mrs. Speed
          If you're not on a SpeedWerks bike, you're probably behind one.

www.speedwerks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Speedwerks

I will tell Mr. Speed to check this thread out and give you all some pointers.

-- Mrs. Speed
            That looks like an interesting product. Where does it get clamped? Do you need to remove one end of the cable?

Comment

Clean as often as needed, at least once every 600 miles. Lube far more often than you clean.

See CyberPoet's Motorcycle Chain Wear and Maintenance page (lube, lubing, cleaning, adjustments, etc) for more info.

As for cables, it depends on where you live. I virtually never lube mine (maybe annually), but our area is not prone to rust, freezing, nor really fine sands. Mineral oils or chain lubes work well; WD40 is 50% mineral oil (and about 50% dry cleaning solution) and works well in places where the relative humidity doesn't hover above about 80%. The most important part is making sure that you displace any water or water-retaining debris that might otherwise cause the actual cable within the sheath to rust, especially if you get freezing temps there.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

That looks like an interesting product. Where does it get clamped? Do you need to remove one end of the cable?
                You remove one end of the cable and clamp it on to the end of the cable sheath. This creates a seal which forces the lubricant you spray into it down into the sheath. For a really thorough job, repeat the process on the other end.

As far as chain cleaning: If it's an o-ring chain, all you need is a mild-degreaser and a brush. WD-40, simple green, etc. Any mild degreaser will work. An o-ring chain is internally lubricated, so you just need to keep it clean and keep it from rusting.

www.speedwerks.com

Comment

alright, i don't know much about chains, so whats the stock? o-ring or x-ring?

Comment

Originally posted by soccersteve
                    Go read my page on chains... The OEM chain is an O-ring chain, #530, 118 link, RK brand.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Most bikes typically come with a roller chain (or as they try to fancily name it, an x-ring) because those chains are cheap. For those, you'd want to clean them with a can of spray lube.

www.speedwerks.com

Comment

Roller chain has guide links, pins with rollers around the pin. These chains need to be cleaned and lubricated on a regular basis. This type of chain is used in many racing applications because it has the least friction and the maintenance is not an issue.

O-ring chain has guide links, pins with rollers around the pin. The rollers are packed with lubricant. The the rollers are sealed with an o-ring. O-ring chains require less frequent cleaning and lubrication. When you lubricate a sealed chain (o-ring or x-ring) you are not lubricating the chain as much as you are lubricating the seals. The seals drag on the pins and the guide links. Lubricating them allows them to slide more easily therefore reducing the wear of the seal. That is why you need to make sure that you use a lubricant that is compatible with the seals. This type of chain is found on most motorcycles.

X-ring chain is just a variation of the o-ring chain. By having a "X" profile you have multiple sealing surfaces therefore you should have a better seal.

Keeping a chain lubed is critical to maximize the life of the chain. People often talk about chains stretching which is incorrect. They elongate due to wear. As the guides rotate around the pins the surfaces wear at each other. That is why running a smaller sprocket can accelerate chain wear. A smaller sprocket requires more chain articulation which means more wear.

Comment

thanks guys. makes sense to me. any opinions about lube that doesn't make everything nasty? just got my wheels back and def. don't want really bad grease on them

Comment

thanks guys. makes sense to me. any opinions about lube that doesn't make everything nasty? just got my wheels back and def. don't want really bad grease on them
                            Depends on where you live. Oil flings but does a better job of lubing, and the flinging carries away debris and dirt and sand. Wax clings well, and protects from rust, but also retains debris and sand. Thus, if you live somewhere that has virtually no sand and the primary debris is organic (leaves, grass clippings, etc) wax is fine; if you live somewhere that has lots of sand or quartz dust/granite dust, other hard minerals, use oil and learn to clean the wheels quickly (a good biodegrading degreaser can clean the wheels in about 3 minutes of your time -- pour on a rag, wipe down, spray off with a garden hose).

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Speedwerks
                              Most bikes typically come with a roller chain (or as they try to fancily name it, an x-ring) because those chains are cheap. For those, you'd want to clean them with a can of spray lube.
                              Mrs. Speed wasn't listening when she asked me this question. A lot of bikes come with cheap roller chains. An X-Ring is a fancy O-ring chain (bascally).

I didn't look it up ... but if the newer Kats actually come with a O-ring chain, you do not need to lube it -- just keep it clean. We use a mild degreaser at the shop with a scrub brush.

- Brian Roach
                              - SpeedWerks.com

www.speedwerks.com

Comment

Working...
                              X