X

Still having problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still having problems

Alright well here is the skiiny. My bike wasn't running to well when I got it at the end of last summer. It would idle really low and then when the choke was open it was idle really high. I could never get the idle where it was suppose to be and it was float all over the place. It got cold and I put it away for the summer. I pulled the carbs off and cleaned them and replaced all the O-rings (wasn't that dirty). I found that one of the connection for the choke was off of cylinder 1. I fixed all of that and put them back on. Bought a new battery and put that one today. Started it up and was able to set the idle (I know they need to be synch'd and the valves need adjusting). I put more gas in the tank, let it warm up and took it off of the center stand. Now it idles really low (around 800) or flies up really high (around 3-4K) when the choke is open, it idles kind of weird and dies every now and again. I've checked for vaccum leaks and and looked at the connections and can't find anything. WHat could this be? I'm about to the point I'm going to take it to the shop or get rid of it. I'm about done with working on it, i want to ride. Please help, anyone in St. Louis area that could give me a hand.

Ok , normal for the choke to make idle go up pretty high . Just adjust the idle where it should be when warm (it'll idle low when cold naturally , don't woryy) . Synch it , of course . I'd check plugs , too . Call me after that .......
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Well here is the deal. This is what it did the last time. i can't set the idle because it says low and turning the idle adjust does nothing, but if I do it and then pull the throttle it shoots up slowly drops back down, then immediately drops to like 800 again. Also it is hard keep it going sometimes. It seems to run weird when cold, then starts to run alright and stays at idle. Then once it is warm the idle drops to like 800 and it is all screwed up again. This was the original problem when ig ot it and why I took the carbs apart. I've set the air/fuel screws, I haven't yet synched the carbs. Could it be something with the head or the block? I"ll try and check the plugs and resynch again and see if I can get it working then. but any other ideas of things to check?

Comment

so is the idle adjustment broken? make shure that is all ok
        HILLBILLY DELUXE!!.........SLICK PICK UP TRUCKS.....LIVIN IT UP IN A SMALL TOWN....yep thats me

Comment

I'm inclined to thin that there's STILL trash n the idle circuit . Sure SOUNDS just like it .....

Comment

What would be the proper steps to go about cleaning it correctly?

Comment

Lets say you get it to idle, and the engine is warm.

Lets also assume the plugs and oil are good.

How does it rev? Does it drop normally, or does it hang there?

It kinda sounds like

a)dirty spots in the carbs
              b)mixture is off (possibly rich)

Comment

Originally posted by StlStallion
                What would be the proper steps to go about cleaning it correctly?
                Well , once you take it all apart , and pop out the pilot jet . SPray some brake cleaner in that hole . Spray out the jet itself . Make SURE all the holes show light . Then , there're 3 holes in a little cavity that are part of it . Spray THOSE out good and make sure you can see daylight .Take out the pilot screw and do same . Basically , you'll use almost a whole can of the stuff to make SURE you got every part .

Comment

Then, set mixture screws to 2.25-2.5 turns out.

Make sure the fuel flow is smooth and unkinked.

Make sure the air filter is sealed and the entire airbox is not leaking vaccum in any way (including the drain hose on the right side of the bike)

Then warm up the bike and do a sync.

Comment

I'm inclined to agree that it's the carbs still gummied-up as well. Doesn't sound like any kind of vacuum leak to me -- just poor fueling and irratic vacuum due to the valves being out of adjustment.
                    But if you don't want to futz with the carbs again, send a PM to SpecialK (might be Special$K$), and ask him for a swap-out set of carbs to get you on the road to richeousness again. He'll charge you for 'em, but at least you'll know they're done right.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks all. I'm going to get a hold of Special K in order to try and get some swap-out carbs. I'll get those on and synch'd and then get the valves adjusted. If I can't get the carbs from him, I"ll try and pull them off again and redo them myself. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                      X