X

Blowing a fuse?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blowing a fuse?

Hey guys...my bike has this slight problem. There is an easy short term solution, but I want to know what the real problem is. Essentially, every time I start the bike, if I turn the handlebars in just the wrong way, the bike just dies. The fuse that blows is a 30 fuse, on the left hand side of the bike, just a little below and to the left of where you take the seat off...Anyone have any ideas how to fix this? Can I just increase my fuse to a 40? Thanks!
    Always keep your head up

Matt

my guess is that there is a short somewhere... a frayed wire or exposed wire somewhere.. does the bike cut out if you turn the bars while riding it.
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Don't change the fuse by a bigger one! The fuse is there to protect if a surge a current anormaly high happen. If you change it by a bigger one the fuse is not gonna blow and maybe something else will blow.

Check the cable around the handle bar like zleviticus said!

Comment

It sounds like your ignition wire has a broken strand in it. Since it only dies when you trun the handlebars. Your bike was stolen right? They may have cut the wires and just spliced them together to get the bike to run. So look at all the wires around the ignition system.
        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

wires!!! check from the ignition and follow it down, also check the wires off the switches.
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

+1 on highsight2020
            Another might be the headlight.

Comment

does it happen if u turn them either way, or just to the left or just to the right ?

Comment

It's a theft deterent.

Seriously, You seem to have a shorted wire. Do as instructed above.
                AMA member # 224227

Comment

Re: Blowing a fuse?

Originally posted by Hitman
                  Can I just increase my fuse to a 40? Thanks!
                  As RobRoy pointed out -- no. Upping the fuse size will simply cause the wire itself to act as the fuse instead (and the last thing you want is the wiring melting as it gives).

I'm with everyone else on this -- faulty insulation causing a ground when you turn the handlebars, either at the ignition circuit or at the headlight circuit. The good part is that it should be easy to spot with a bit of work (probably have to strip the fairings off to get at it).

Good Luck!
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Like everyone else said. The easiest way to find it is look where the wiring harness bends around frame. Open up the harness and look for the wire that has the insulation rubbed off of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X