Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

friggin' gixxer carbs, filled my intakes with gas....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• friggin' gixxer carbs, filled my intakes with gas....

i've put over 500 miles on this bike since the gixxer 750 carbs were installed, and it's been running like a champ, till last night that is. i rode about 50 miles yesterday with no problems. when i came outside last night, all i could smell was gas. looked down, there's gas puddles dripping from my kickstand, and the front lower fairing has gas puddled up in it also. so i take the fairings off, and notice that the pod filter on carbs 3 & 4 is literally dripping gasoline. what could cause this? i haven't removed the carbs or intakes yet, in case i have to have the shop pick it up again. the only other thing i noticed was the plug wire boot cap thing over cylinder #1 was only half on, so i resealed it correctly. i don't think that would contribute to anything though would it? when the carbs were installed, the shop said they took everything apart and thoroughly cleaned them, so what else could cause this? any info is appreciated, tia..

"If you ain't first, you're last..." - Ricky Bobby
    "Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

Well , it SOUNDS like you might have left the petcock on "prime" , for one thing . Another , it SOUNDS like your floats aren't closing for whatever reason . And that wire not all the way on SHOULD cause that one sparkplug to not fire , which WOULD make the bike NOT "run like a champ" . Now you have to drain the engine oil (cause there's now gas in it) , pop out the sparkplugs and put a little bit of oil in the holes (about a straw-full should do it) , and maybe you might want to take the carbs apart and see what's up with the floats .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

though i'm not sure which side (left or right) is prime, i turned it to the up/down position to be safe last week. i've already rebuilt the fuel petcock, so that shouldn't be an issue (i hope). the wire was on the plug fully, it just wasn't sealed onto the engine as it should've been. i didn't even think of the gas in the oil thing, thanks for pointing that out! i couldn't tell a difference in performance yesterday, good or bad. even my friend with a busa commented on how strong my bike seemed to be running yesterday. that's another reason i was so surprised when i came outside and found gas leaking everywhere, 'cause it's been running fine and showing no symptoms of anything wrong. i may take the carbs off and have my friend take a look at them. i just have no patience, and his philosophy is "well, you got till spring anyways.."

"Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

Comment

Well , I went through a hole summer with funky carbs , and when it was running good , it was running GOOD . When it wasn't , it was because my plugs were fouled . Once they were changed , it was running good again ! Sure my gas milage was below 10 mpg , and I was blowing black smoke all over everbody , but it was running GOOD ! You see ? If it's leaking gas like that , then that means the floats weren't doing their job . Not a terrible thing when it's sitting , just make sure it's not on prime ...

See , if the floats are working right , then even on prime you shouldn't have to worry about the propblem you seem to have just had . But it's not really a great idea to leave it on prime and tempt fate , though . Straight up and down is "on/off" , which is where you want it .

Comment

well, i'm thinking it may be my rebuilt fuel petcock. it didn't seem to be leaking when it was running, it only started after it was sitting. between the carbs and the petcock, the carbs aren't doing anything unless it's running. the petcock on the other hand is still having to hold back the fuel from pouring out, and maybe that's what failed. when it failed before, it poured gas everywhere. after the rebuild, it was fine. i think i'll just opt for a new one, and still have my friend take a look at the carbs.

that's the same way mine has been, when my plugs aren't fouled, it's running good and strong. then they'd foul out, i'd replace them, and back to running GREAT! now my bikes sitting in pieces again, i'm started to think it's a normal look with no tank or fairings and sitting on the carport broken down lol

Comment

Well , hopefully that fixes your problem . Me , I just carried a box of sparkplugs around with me all summer . I got REAL good at changing them at rest stops and such !

Comment

lmao i think i'm gonna end up doing the same

Comment

Sounds like the float bowl or bowls are stuck thus filling the carbs full of fuel. Also allowing fuel to flow from the tank as per gravity. Unfortunately the Kat doesn't have a fuel shut off.
                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                Who knows what is next?
                Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by takirb
                  well, i'm thinking it may be my rebuilt fuel petcock. it didn't seem to be leaking when it was running, it only started after it was sitting. between the carbs and the petcock, the carbs aren't doing anything unless it's running. the petcock on the other hand is still having to hold back the fuel from pouring out, and maybe that's what failed. when it failed before, it poured gas everywhere. after the rebuild, it was fine. i think i'll just opt for a new one, and still have my friend take a look at the carbs.

that's the same way mine has been, when my plugs aren't fouled, it's running good and strong. then they'd foul out, i'd replace them, and back to running GREAT! now my bikes sitting in pieces again, i'm started to think it's a normal look with no tank or fairings and sitting on the carport broken down lol
                  (A) It's not just the petcock's fault. Leaking gas happens because of a sticking or misadjusted float, which can only be fed by a petcock permitting fuel through. No bad float, no leaking gas, even with the petcock in prime. Just as MD86 already pointed out...

(B) Fouling plugs means the carbs are off in at least one of the fueling circuits (i.e. - in at least one RPM range). Doesn't matter if it runs great at all other times. Easiest way to figure it out is to have the bike sit on an exhaust gas analyzer and see when it goes rich/poor.

Good Luck!
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                    If it's leaking gas like that , then that means the floats weren't doing their job ....
                    See , if the floats are working right , then even on prime you shouldn't have to worry about the propblem you seem to have just had .
                    What did I say ?

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                      What did I say ?
                      Me pull all-niter, answered question while headed for bed. You said it MD86; I just thought he might listen better if it came from yet another source.

Cheers & Peace
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i checked the plugs tonight, and they aren't wet and don't reak of gasoline as before experiences. i'd still like to replace the petcock with a new one just to knock out that possibility. the carbs i can have cleaned for free, so i'm just waiting on the $65 for a new petcock. as i was told in the "petcock positions" post, someone must've changed it before. once i remove it, i'll snap a pic and post what it looks like hopefully i can get it straightened out this weekend. knowing my luck it'll be a beautiful weekend and i'll be waiting on shipping..

Comment

Cleaning does not mean you are going fix a sticking float, something could be bent or otherwise tying it up.
                          I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane

Comment

Or a pinhole in one , too ! And no worries , Cyber . I was just feeling a bit cocky !

Comment

how do i clean the floats, or check for one sticking? instead of waiting on a friend to check them out for me, i'd like to try to get it running this weekend. once i take off the bowls on the bottom of the carbs, there are the float assemblies, correct? i'm trying to remember how this problem occurred in the passed. i had the stock carbs on, they were fouling plugs (found out later the choke was messed up on them). so my friend installed the GSXR carbs, took it up the highway and it cut off. brought it back, and it was leaking gas everywhere, like it is now. we thought it was the petcock, so i replaced the gaskets witha rebuild kit. afterwards, i sent the bike with the stock carbs to the shop, where they determined the choke problem. they then installed the GSXR carbs, tuned them, and i ran for about 500 miles before they started leaking everywhere. as i've been told here, it's not the rebuilt petcock. what would make the floats work fine one minute, then mess up, then work fine for 500 miles, then mess up again. if there was something bent or a pinhole, would it still take a while to screw up? just trying to get a feel for what i'm gonna be looking for. can i replace just one float assembly if i find a problem? the weather's supposed to be decent (as in not raining i think) this weekend and i'd really like to get it going again to check out that countersteering stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X