X

Exhast removal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhast removal

OK as you can see in my GSXR600MC post I have removed my exhaust for cleaning and painting..
    Just wanted to pass on that I didn't bother to loosen the screws,
    I first tightened them. 6 out of 8 make that classic "PING" once they did all came out with no hassles. The last 2 didn't "ping" but tightened a tiny bit. There was no evidence of anti sieze..
    Did I get lucky? Or is this the way to go?

Re: Exhast removal

Originally posted by Black_peter
    OK as you can see in my GSXR600MC post I have removed my exhaust for cleaning and painting..
    Just wanted to pass on that I didn't bother to loosen the screws,
    I first tightened them. 6 out of 8 make that classic "PING" once they did all came out with no hassles. The last 2 didn't "ping" but tightened a tiny bit. There was no evidence of anti sieze..
    Did I get lucky? Or is this the way to go?
    The ping isn't desirable.
    Figure it this way: The bolts are steel. The receivers are aluminum. If the bolts were already torqued to spec, tightening them further could strip the aluminum receiver end in the block -- not a pretty thing to do and often a PIA to fix, even if it does break the loctite (thread locker compound) loose.

In the future, stick to removing them; just do start the removal process with a clean, fast snap to the bolt, to break the hold of the loctite (thread locker).

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
    X