X

choke lever problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choke lever problem

I have a 2002 Kat 600. The choke lever seems to be stuck. When I try and pull it open it does not move. I felt the cable on the outside and I think it is stuck. The bike has been sitting in my garage for about 1 week and it has worked fine before.

Any advice?

eddie.

must be frozen moisture....let it sit...its not riding season yet. Impatience will get you in over your head!

Comment

Have you been out in the salt? Range is probably right but it could also be some rust inside the cable. You might be able to free it up with cable lube...it's best to take the cable off to lube properly. You may end up snapping the cable. Get it in a warm spot to minimize this probability.
      Suzuki Katana: The best underated motersicle in da woild

Comment

I had the same problem with my 2002. I ended up putting a new choke cable in because mine was kinked from the factory. They are cheep, I think mine was $15 at the dealer. No problems any more.

Comment

mine wasnt moving either late last year...but the linkage was stuck, so I lubed it up..been fine ever since. something to consider.

Comment

So it finally started and when the bike was all warmed up the choke lever was working fine, still a little sticky though but it has full range of motion.
            I'll probably end up lubing the cable, or maybe just install a new one.

I guess I got a little impatient. I mean, it still is like -10 celsius here in Toronto.

eddie.

Comment

Originally posted by eduardo02
              So it finally started and when the bike was all warmed up the choke lever was working fine, still a little sticky though but it has full range of motion.
              Sounds like you might have had water frozen in it. The other problem the 98+ Kats get is the choke lever, unless routed under the very center of the tank, tend to get damaged between the tank and the cross-bar over the valves, which splays the cable inside the sheath but leaves no obvious outward signs. Only cure for that is replacing the cable.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'm ordering an OEM choke cable just in case I have to replace it.
                Is it just a matter of pulling the cable out and installing the new one? Which fairing would I have to remove? I'm guessing it's the left.

I know the cable connects to the lever on the left handlebar, but where does it connect inside the bike?

eddie.

Comment

Is it just a matter of pulling the cable out and installing the new one? Which fairing would I have to remove? I'm guessing it's the left.

I know the cable connects to the lever on the left handlebar, but where does it connect inside the bike?

I installed one on a 93 600 kat . It got stuck, I forced it , it broke. Choke cable was cheap Installing it was a pain. I had to lift up the tank to get my finger at it, it took about a dozed tries to thread the metal gromet into the hole and then a little more tweaking to get it to move properly with the lever. Works fine now. left side fairing is the one to remove.
                  eddie.

Comment

The fairings don't have to come off completely, but the tank does. Remove the lower fairing. Undo the three main bolts on the upper fairing (one low on the frame, one next to the gas tank, one back by the seat). Pull the fairings away from the frame to release the rubber catches. Now remove the gas tank, if you can get at the connections you need to loosen (petcock fuel hose, vacuum line to the carb, tank sender cable, drain hose to the underside of the tank).

The cable needs to route down the center of the tank at point it passes over the bar above the valve covers. The far end slips into the upper carbs (they do not need to be removed to get at it), and is simple to get at, as long as the other end is hanging free.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

It's a fairly simple job . Yes , you just take off the left fairing to get under there . Just put on the new cable the same way the old cable looks , it's not too hard .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Someone mentioned lubing the choke cable. How is this done? As far as I know the cable is in a sheath. Does the cable have to be pulled out of its wrapping to lube it?

eddie.

Comment

there is actually a special device to lube cables.

your new cable will have a grease already in it...just install....but hang off for a bit....when it warms up...see how "free" it is. My guess is the impatience...you really should not be starting your bike untill riding season, but I can sympatize how tempting it is.

Comment

Working...
                          X