X

Oil coolers.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil coolers.

This is something i really no nothing about How do you size a cooler for your bike? Is it that important? i am thinking that you could over cool or not cool enough The 92 GSXR750 motor has a huge curved cooler, which will not work for my application.Do i have to get one the same size, or could i go smaller? Ideally, one about 10x6 or so would be the best fit. Would appriciate any advice, thanks in advance.
    Ok, no more mister nice guy, i've met the guy in the street, and he's a wanker.

reckon you could go smaller just watch the oil levels when you top back up...... my gsxr has a gsxf engine but as you say the gsxr coolers are larger and it seems fine!

Comment

Re: Oil coolers.

Originally posted by ne-oublie
      This is something i really no nothing about How do you size a cooler for your bike? Is it that important? i am thinking that you could over cool or not cool enough The 92 GSXR750 motor has a huge curved cooler, which will not work for my application.Do i have to get one the same size, or could i go smaller? Ideally, one about 10x6 or so would be the best fit. Would appriciate any advice, thanks in advance.
      I know what you mean...I'd like to find a smaller cooler that almost maybe just maybe looks like it is supposed to fit between the side covers under the main fairing. Oh...did I meantion too that I really don't feel like spending $450 for an aftermarket cooler. There has got to be some other options?????

Comment

Dude, on my 1100 engine, I am running the stock katana 750 oil cooler. My understanding was the 1100 oil cooler only had a couple extra lines, so why not score a used 7fitty cooler, and go with that.

Ran it like a bat outa hell last summer down here in Bama, and it did just fine. I did switch to synthetic oil though, and going with 20W-50 at that for the hot arse weather, but never had a over heating problem.

I bet Kieth or Jim has a old one lying around.
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

600 cooler is the smallest
          750 cooler has two extra rows of piping at the bottom.
          1100 cooler has another two added rows of pipe at the bottom and may be marginally wider.

How do you spec coolers?
          Technically you punch in the starting temp, the heat index of the fluid, the flow-rate for the fluid, the speed and ambient air temp, and what you need the output temp to be. At least that's how the bigger factories and tech places do it.

Personally, I'd just do some simple math in a case like yours -- figure out the tube diameter and the total length, then shop for something that has the same diameter and the same or longer total length exposed with about the same fin density (i.e. - more tubes that run shorter distances, etc).

Or hit-n-miss; get one and keep an eye on the oil temps with a gauge to see if it cuts it.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Re: Oil coolers.

Originally posted by Waltari

I know what you mean...I'd like to find a smaller cooler that almost maybe just maybe looks like it is supposed to fit between the side covers under the main fairing. Oh...did I meantion too that I really don't feel like spending $450 for an aftermarket cooler. There has got to be some other options?????
            Working on it, will keep you posted

Marc, yeah i figured something like that, but getting everything to fit in the area desired, and looking good, is a pain. The only one i have found right now is a little costly, but i may have to bite the bullet if i dont come up with something soon.

Comment

UPDATE:
              I found a vendor ( www.bsr-aerotek.com ) that sells a lot of aftermarket oil coolers for the bike market, including brackets that allow near-universal mountings. Visit their site and enter "cooler"

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

what about useing more oil by like addeding a remote oil filter??

Comment

I would think it would be dependent on whether you could keep the oil pressure up sufficiently to travel the extra distance... and keeping the remote filter on in the wind (remember, the oil filter sits on the front of the engine for cooling reasons).

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Linky no worky?

I was actually thinking of either of the two below, they are both dimentionaly simmilar, exept one is 3/4 thick, and the other 1 1/2 thick.The 3/4 thick one says Trans cooler, but the thicker one, trans or engine cooler.I would like to use the thinner one as that gives me a little more room, but would it matter so much that it specifies transmission cooler? Any ideas?

Comment

Link fixed:

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                      X