Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Showing off... how clean is the inside of your engine?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Showing off... how clean is the inside of your engine?

I stripped down the valve covers to do a valve adjustment, and was amazed at just how clean the interior of my engine was, given the sustained high-speed driving I do... enough so as to want to show off:

NOTE TO SELF: let shop do valve adjustments in the hot months... still too hot & humid here to do it comfortably.

NOTE TO OTHERS: Castrol GPS 10W40 & 20W50 (mixed in hot weather; straight 10W40 in cold weather) is what has been used in this bike to date. As always, I recommend using JASO MA spec oils

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Re: Showing off... how clean is the inside of your engine?

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
    I stripped down the valve covers to do a valve adjustment, and was amazed at just how clean the interior of my engine was, given the sustained high-speed driving I do... enough so as to want to show off:

NOTE TO SELF: let shop do valve adjustments in the hot months... still too hot & humid here to do it comfortably.
    Show off

I just did my first valve job a couple weeks ago and I can understand why it costs $200-$300 now. Easy but time consuming.
    '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

thanks for those pictures

now i have a better idea of what to expect when i get into the engine for valve job soon

looking forward to see more pictures

Comment

WOW.........VERY clean!

A testament to the oil! And changes..................
        I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
        Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
        Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by 300
          thanks for those pictures

now i have a better idea of what to expect when i get into the engine for valve job soon

looking forward to see more pictures
          KNOW THIS:
          For easiest, fastest work, drop the oil cooler and the cables first (choke cable at the choke control; thottle cables at the throttle and at the guide above the carbs). Label your distributor leads before you pull them.
          90% of the job is getting at the parts.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Jeebus poet, you can eat off that engine...!! nice!!

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              KNOW THIS:

For easiest, fastest work, drop the oil cooler and the cables first.....

Label your distributor leads before you pull them.....

thanks for the tips

Comment

Now that's clean.
                Bike is sold

Comment

clean engine

How many miles on the clean engine?
                  I had mine done at 14k and it did look very clean and I use full synthetic.

Joe
                  sigpic

Comment

Re: clean engine

Originally posted by KAT6
                    How many miles on the clean engine?
                    8850 miles or so... not that much on this particular bike yet, but I'll be taking comparo pictures at each valve change...

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

UPDATE:
                      24 April, 2006

Stripped the bike late this evening in preparation of doing the 15k service tomorrow (schedule permitting) and shot a couple pics of the engine again. I have to say I'm generally pleased by the condition (which still speaks volumes for the oil quality):

Given that it's set fairly rich (13:1) in the higher RPM ranges and that I zipped about 40 miles home last night at a goodly speed, the plugs look about how I expected:

I'll probably shoot some better pics tomorrow in the daylight when I go to do the valve adjustment (I'm curious about how many need any adjustment at all).

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The only valve cover-off pic I have is from my old TLR. This pic was taken during the last valve adjustment I did before selling the bike last year. Mileage when pic taken was approx. 34,000. Note that when I bought the TLR is was a bashed up wanna-be stunt machine. "Abused" would be putting things nicely. Judging by the overall condition of the bike I have every reason to think it's first oil change was done by me, at ~15,000 miles.

I used Moble 1 synthetic (yes, car oil) the entire time I owned the bike and when I sold it the bike had 42,000 miles on the clock and was still running the stock clutch w/o any slipping issues.

Anyway, long story short: Rear cylinder...'98 TL1000R...~34,000 miles, Moble 1:

I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

Cyber, you must be in pretty good with the dealer for him to let you tear down a showroom bike to take some pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau
                            Cyber, you must be in pretty good with the dealer for him to let you tear down a showroom bike to take some pics.
                            Good one!

If only I could keep the outside as clean as the inside!

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Wow, that's amazingly clean. I can only hope my bike is a clean.
                              "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Working...
                              X