Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Showing off... how clean is the inside of your engine?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
    PS - Nice pic, Black_peter; speaks well for your maintenance & oil choices. The only place I see any oil sludge is on the outside of the cam lobes. What really stands out for me, though, is the differences in the cam chain assembly -- look closely at how much revamp there was on that between the generations.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    True about the cam chain.. Funny cause my 80' CB750 had that type of chain.. Interesting the GSXR would have a more "standard" type.

About the cleanliness.. This was my first valve adjust after buying the
    bike (I figured who knew when it was done last) So I was pretty shocked
    as other aspects of the bike indicated poor maintenance.
    In my mind this could represent a fairly poorly cared for engine.
    When I got it:
    It was filthy, had a poorly cared for battery (overcharged at least once) poor brake fluid, poor chain maintenance, filthy carbs..
    poor synch.. etc etc..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
      About the cleanliness.. This was my first valve adjust after buying the bike (I figured who knew when it was done last) So I was pretty shocked as other aspects of the bike indicated poor maintenance.
      In my mind this could represent a fairly poorly cared for engine.
      Good oils will clear away the sludge build-up of cheap & abused oils over a few hundred miles. Then the only signs left are the metal wear & tolerances.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Hey CP,

Here are some pics of my bike when we did the valve adjustment. I noticed that my valve springs have a different color than yours on the top coil (magenta vs. blue). Maybe it's just the way the photograph shows the color. If not:

1) Is this to show spring orientation?
        2) Does it signify a different spring rate (600 vs. 750)?

On some valve springs, it looks like there is some "paint" coming off. I wonder if this can cause some minor damage before it is caught by the filter?

A carb tuner ready for action......

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaKat
          Hey CP,

Here are some pics of my bike when we did the valve adjustment. I noticed that my valve springs have a different color than yours on the top coil (magenta vs. blue). Maybe it's just the way the photograph shows the color. If not:

1) Is this to show spring orientation?
          2) Does it signify a different spring rate (600 vs. 750)?

On some valve springs, it looks like there is some "paint" coming off. I wonder if this can cause some minor damage before it is caught by the filter?
          I have no clue what the colors indicate, although I'd suspect they are probably color-coded just to make sure the asssemblers at the factory don't accidentally swap parts between wrong models (i.e. 600 vs 750). In theory, it could also be temp sensitive, to indicate significant overheating during the warrantee period, but I find that doubious at best.

As for chipping paint, I wouldn't worry about it. Odds are because of the location, it will drop straight down into the oil sump and subsequently sink to the bottom. Now the one thing we didn't do, that I feel we probably should have on your bike (or any other bike during the first service) is drop the oil pan and clean it out thoroughly. The amount of metal hiding in it is almost unbeleivable.

Originally posted by FloridaKat
          A carb tuner ready for action......
          No, a Morgan CarbTuneII almost ready for action. Airbox gets reinstalled and the airbox drain tube (remember that #$%#$!) connected first, so that you have the same readings as when the engine is running.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'll play ....

I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Very clean.. I am in the process of painting my bike and seeing your motors I got the feeling to do my valves since it is stripped down. My question is what is the vale lash for the intake and the exhaust?

Comment

Can't see your ride profile right now for some reason .
                Pre750:
                Intake: .1-.15mm
                Exhaust:.18-.23mm
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                  Can't see your ride profile right now for some reason .
                  Pre750:
                  Intake: .1-.15mm
                  Exhaust:.18-.23mm
                  Which is the same as both models 98+ (600 & 750)
                  In inches, that's:
                  Intake .004" - .006"
                  Exhaust .007" - .009"

Anyone got the clearance for the pre-98 600's?

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the information my bike is a 95 ' 750. That will be my weekend project before I put the bike together also do you warm the bike up before you do the valves?

Comment

Originally posted by PR4MR
                      Thanks for the information my bike is a 95 ' 750. That will be my weekend project before I put the bike together also do you warm the bike up before you do the valves?
                      No. you must do them cold. As in leave it sit overnight, then have at er in the morning.

Comment

Thanks...

Comment

Working...
                        X