X

? about Ivans jet kit

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? about Ivans jet kit

I am installing Ivans jet kit in my girlfriends D&D piped 04 katana. I noticed that the two outside carbs had 115 main jets and the two inside carbs 112.5 main jets from factory. Ivans jet kit included four 110 main jets. Do the katana's come rich on the mains from the factory? I was thinking Ivans kit would have bigger mains than factory, since installing an aftermarket pipe leans out the motor. Can somebody explain?

I to was concerned when I installed the Ivan kit. I contacted Cyber Poet and asked him about it. I know the needles are allot different and I think that is why the smaller jets work so well in this kit. If you follow the instructions you should have no problems and be vary happy with the results..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

well i can't give an exact answer but i can give you some answers. first off, if you call ivan they will guide you right through it and hit you pointers to pretty much get it right on. Also i think bikes come leaned out from factory to meet emission standards. and i don't know if ivan's numbering is different than mikuni (maker of stock kat carbs) main jet numbers. I know dynojet is numbered different.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Re: ? about Ivans jet kit

Originally posted by Clayton
        I am installing Ivans jet kit in my girlfriends D&D piped 04 katana. I noticed that the two outside carbs had 115 main jets and the two inside carbs 112.5 main jets from factory. Ivans jet kit included four 110 main jets. Do the katana's come rich on the mains from the factory? I was thinking Ivans kit would have bigger mains than factory, since installing an aftermarket pipe leans out the motor. Can somebody explain?
        First, the stock jets are Mikuni jets. Each jet manufacturer has a slightly different jet shape & sizing scheme, so a 115 Mikuni won't match the flow of a DynoJet 115 sized jet, and neither will flow the same as the Ivan's. The specific numbers simply aren't comparable across differing brands without pumping them through a bunch of equations to compensate (and that's only if you have access to the equations).

More-over, the needles taper grinds are radically different, the needles heights are different, as are the number of turns on the pilot screws, meaning the entire fueling equation has been changed from one end to the other when you switch over.

The stock jetting uses a very blunt, fat needle, 112.5/115 jets and somewhere a bit shy of 2 turns out on the pilot screws (as the Kat comes from the factory for the US market) -- which meets EPA certification requirements. Ivan's uses a very fine taper grind (actually 5 of them per needle), narrower jets and 4 turns out on the pilots, resulting in a richer mixture that wouldn't meet the EPA's requirements, but provides much better power and throttle response.

Or to put your jetting question a different way:
        You have a 1/2" diameter garden hose, and turn the water on a little less than half pressure. Next to it you have a 1/3" diameter garden hose, but the water pressure is at 100% on it. Which hose flows more?

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

So what you're saying is we don't need Ivan's jetkit CP? just a 1/3" gardenhose instead off the stock-fuellines would do the job?

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
            Or to put your jetting question a different way:
            You have a 1/2" diameter garden hose, and turn the water on a little less than half pressure. Next to it you have a 1/3" diameter garden hose, but the water pressure is at 100% on it. Which hose flows more?
            Originally posted by kwebbel
            So what you're saying is we don't need Ivan's jetkit CP? just a 1/3" gardenhose instead off the stock-fuellines would do the job?
            What I'm saying is when it comes to delivering fuel, 112.5/115 jets at slightly under 2 turns out is like a 1.25 cm garden hose at half power. And 110 at 4 turns out is more like a 1.1 cm garden hose at 100% power. Thus, even with the smaller jets, the Ivan's flows more fuel at idle.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

sorry bro I did understand the visual but being in a somehow evil mood I couldn't resist..

Comment

WTF is a 1/3"?

I have worked with quarter inch, eighth inch, sixteenth inch......but never 1/3"

You Americans REALLY screwed up the Imperial system.

(now...Cyber...if you were just using that for demonstrative purposes....PLEASE use a term that makes sense....3/8" perhaps)

Comment

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by Range
                    WTF is a 1/3"?
                    It's the same as 5/15".

Ha!
                    93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

OK, I just increased the denominator by one. It was to try to illustrate a point. I guess a 32/64ths and 29/64ths hose would have been more accurate :P

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                        OK, I just increased the denominator by one. It was to try to illustrate a point. I guess a 32/64ths and 29/64ths hose would have been more accurate :P

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        no Cyber...as I CLEARLY ILLUSTRATED

1/2" and 3/8" would have been accurated...as they are actual hose diameters....
                        just accept your glaring mistake with some humility

Comment

Working...
                        X