X

Fuel Economy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Economy

Alright, I was just thinking about this, and haven't really seen too many good posts on this topic. Everyone is trying to figure out how to make their bike's go faster, or turn better. Well, I ask this question, other than the obvious of not idling for too long and not riding quite so hard. What could one do mechanicaly to get a little bit better gas milage out of their KATs? I know there are plenty of ways on a car, but are KATs pretty much optimized in the way they run to be fast and fuel efficient? I know if there's a way I could squeeze a few more miles out of my 10 bucks I would be up for it. So lets hear it, has anyone done anything that seems to have helped?

There are a number of things you can do.

The first and foremost is making sure the chain & sprockets are in great shape and are absolutely awash with oil. Drivetrain losses can easily sap 8 to 15% of the total power output.

The second thing is to drop your top speed and change your braking patterns (drop your speed well in advance of red lights, so you don't have to recover that speed again with acceleration.

Typically I get around 33 mph with the jetkit and how I ride (let's leave it at "generally fast" when it's on the interstate). When I went on my interstate slog with a slow highway rider off this board and we did 50-60 mph the whole way, my mileage climbed to right around 48-50 mpg (and that's with the Ivan's jetkit installed).

The final thing is to lean out your carb mixtures more -- which is only recommended if you are running an aftermarket jetkit (since the stock kit is lean to begin with). An Ivan's kit taken from 4 turns out to 3.5 turns out on the pilot screws will lose some of it's power, but will still be better than a stock Kat and get similar mileage to a stock Kat.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

keep that air filter clean.

Comment

Oh, and I forgot: keep your tire pressure up. The less the tire deflects on contact, the less drag it puts on the engine.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
        X