X

Grrrrrrr batteries

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grrrrrrr batteries

So the weather is great and I'm gonna "Kat" to work..
    I rolled it to the street (down my steep driveway)
    so as not to disturb my sleeping/sick son by running the bike next to the house..
    I get to the street and;
    RRRrrrrurrr RRruuurr Rrr rr click..
    Flat battery, crap I just charged it (Friday).
    I'm pondering what to do (because I don't want it to die at work or on the way if the alternater is bad) when I decide to look under the seat, just in case the battery switch was on "dead" instead of "normal" LOL
    and look at that.. a missing cell cap.
    I guess it came off who knows when, Friday I only gave it a boost so I never opened them or looked too close (it was partialy covered by the strap). question is will this cell be ok?
    If not what is a battery going to cost and is a sealed cell worth it?

Oh and it was a bitch getting the dead kat back up the driveway!!!

I have a sealed battery that was part of the deal to buy the bike, but a regular battery should cost around $30 I think. I prefer sealed batteries in general, and mine has been great. I think it was $40-50, but I didn't pay for it directly.
    AMA member # 224227

Comment

OK so the battery was dry, I refilled it and gave it a quick charge. Alternator seems ok.
      Guess we'll see if I have a flat battery tonight..

An extra $10 to 15 sounds like good insurance here in Texas.. In summer..

Comment

That's kinda the way I look at it too. I haven't had a problem in the last year, and on a nice HOT summer day she was sitting out in the sun all day at work. The current job site has covered parking
        AMA member # 224227

Comment

The problem with running it dry is that it tends to burn them up. Also, some metal bits (we're talking lead acid batteries here) can dislodge and short out plates. I'm not an expert but every time I tried to revive a battery after it boiled itself out, they were never any good. Hope you have better luck than I!!
          sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
          MSF Rider Coach 27028
          MoPowerSports.com
          Torco
          SoCalTrackDays

Comment

Technicly it didn't boil out..
            But you are right the plates can fuse..
            I'm seeing yuasa sealed cell for $52

Comment

I wish they made a gel battery for the Kats. I tried buying one when I had mine but they don't make them for them yet. Sealed is the next best thing though (a little pricey but worth it).
              sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
              MSF Rider Coach 27028
              MoPowerSports.com
              Torco
              SoCalTrackDays

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                Technicly it didn't boil out..
                But you are right the plates can fuse..
                I'm seeing yuasa sealed cell for $52

That's the one I have.
                AMA member # 224227

Comment

I'm firmly in favor of the glass mat batteries (the technology used in the sealed batteries), and a firm believer in Yuasha's offerings (better design than anything in the same price brackets for our uses).

KNOW THIS:
                  If the cell went empty, then the plate in the cell is pretty much toast. It won't come back, and the battery is working on the remaining cell's power instead.
                  Foolish to ride around with cap off -- the splashing may end up eating it's way up to your arse.
                  Kill a battery three to four times and it's usually too weak to be useful to start the bike in the cold.
                  Fast-charging a battery at a higher rate than the battery is spec'd for will reduce the battery's total storage capacity and may induce cook-off (such as you got), plus deformation of the battery casing from heat. This can happen even in the bike, if you charge a truly dead battery back up by riding at a constant 5+ K RPM.
                  Replacing batteries like you replace brake fluid in most places (every couple years) is cheaper than the hassle of getting stuck at the side of the road away from home even once for most people -- it definitely is for me.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Nice Outlining smilies Cyber!!

Comment

Huh , I ran my battery dry at the Gap last year . Filled it with some CANADIAN botteled water and it was good to go ! Actually ran it almost dry a few times since then and it's still worked fine . I replaced it recently not because it wasn't working anymore , but becasue I was beginning to worry that it might NOT sometime soon ! I ran that battery dry more than once , totally drained it a couple times , and it still works !
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Cyber
                        I would never knowingly run without a cap..
                        I'm hoping you posted that as a warning to newbies not me... Once I discovered the cap missing I parked the bike.. Later at lunch I replaced the cap. Charged it for a few minutes and it started right up
                        Also I doubt it was cook off, I suspect as it was sitting for 2 weeks it was evap..
                        Unless I am really needing to start the bike/car I never charge a battery above 1 amp..

I'm less worried aboiut my ass than other parts..
                        A prior owner must have been missing his drain tube as the battery box and "subframe" rails were rusted..

Comment

Bike Master makes a yuasa knock off for about $30.00, I think it works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                            Cyber
                            I would never knowingly run without a cap..
                            I'm hoping you posted that as a warning to newbies not me...
                            I never said it was for you... the info I put out there, I do so for everyone

As for the rusted subframe portions, if you want to address it: clean 'em up (baking soda, water, then rust remover) and coat 'em with POR-15 Hardnose paint. It will keep the metal from rusting further.

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by "The CyberPoet
                              As for the rusted subframe portions, if you want to address it: clean 'em up (baking soda, water, then rust remover) and coat 'em with POR-15 Hardnose paint. It will keep the metal from rusting further.
                              Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              That was the first item handled..
                              Before the carb debacle..
                              Lots of water and B/S.. Rust converting primer.. etc etc..
                              Luckily it didn't get into any bits like the swing arm bearings etc..
                              Made a mess of the battery box though.. :P

Comment

Working...
                              X