X

Running on prime.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running on prime.

I bought a 1999 600 with a custom paint job about 3 weeks ago. Havent passed the papers yet so i've only ridden it maybe 3 times around the neighborhood. Problem is the fuel petcock was on prime the whole time. The bike runs fine after it warms up, but could i have caused any damage that i need to look into to? Thanks

Put the Petcock setting back to 'Normal' or 'On'

Change the oil

Maybe change the spark plugs

You should be fine.

Comment

No I think it just makes the fuel drain with out the bike running
      2004 katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by Wish4busa
        No I think it just makes the fuel drain with out the bike running
        It drains into the oil, and is then used to lube your engine....which is bad.

Change the oil at the least.

Comment

if your cabs and floats are doing their job correctly, you shouldn't have too much fuel in the oil. but it would be a good idea to change it. oil + gas = bad engine lubrication.

Long Live the D

Comment

Originally posted by paradoxmd
            if your cabs and floats are doing their job correctly, you shouldn't have too much fuel in the oil. but it would be a good idea to change it. oil + gas = bad engine lubrication.
            +1

If the carb floats are working correctly, leaving it in PRI (prime) will do nothing. If any of the floats are stuck or set incorrectly, it can cause liquid fuel to leak into the airbox or cylinders -- and in the case of the cylinders, it would run down past the rings into the main oil sump where it would proceed to decimate the oil's molecular chains, leaving you with something that won't lube right. An oil & filter change is good advice, esp. on a bike you just bought anyway (since you don't know when the last time was it got serviced).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I thank you for the info. I will definitely follow ya'll recomendations, thanks.

Comment

I left mine on PRIM all last winter (6 months) in the spring the oil pan was full of oil and gas. I drained the oil including the oil coolent lines and added 3 leters of car oil and ran it for a few minutes. I then drained the oil and replaced it with the oil that I bought from the dealership. Had no problems all summer and made sure I put it away properally this year.

Comment

Also, one thing to take into consideration is when you do drain it, anticipate more than 4 quarts of oil. Wouldnt hurt to have something to hold 8 or so. I didnt do this when my floats got stuck, BIG mess!

Comment

If you're getting gas in your oil from leaving it on prime , you got OTHER problems . I've left mine on prime for a few months before (: ) and had NO problem , and some of you know the EXTENSIVE problems I always seem to have with my bike . Seriously .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                    X