X

1st time changing oil.. need help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st time changing oil.. need help!

well the bike is way past due for an oil change i beileve.. i have 2000 miles on it and the oil was last changed by the last owner at around 700 miles.. so what do i do? im lost...
    i need 2 learn more about bikes..

Well, I'd start by getting my hands on the owner's manual and reading it if I were you. If you don't have a copy (should have come with the bike, under the seat), send me a PM.

The next thing to do is to figure out whether the first owner ever did the valve adjustment (or had it done). If you still have his contact info, call him and ask him -- he has no vested interest in lying to you anymore. Dealer cost on the full 600 mile service is about $320, or you can do it yourself with the right tools for about $60 (oil, filter, etc) and (giving yourself lots of extra time as it's your first time) six hours. Once experienced, you can do a full service in about 2-3 hours, including the time it takes to get the fairings and tank out of the way. If it hasn't been done, it really needs to be. If it was done, you're generally good to go until 3500 miles or 12 months, when your next oil & filter change is due.

I sell all the maintenance supplies you are likely to need aside from oil (too heavy to ship economically). My offerings include oil filters, spark plugs, oil filter wrenches, air filters, valve tappet adjuster tools, etc. Most of the stuff is listed in the KR Member's Specials forum under "CyberPoet's Special Offers and Maintenance Supplies".

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

tim

Comment

Working...
      X