Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Anyone in Ottawa with stuck bolt experience?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The trick is as Craft59 said, start with a small bit, low RPM, work up in bit sizes, then I would heat that baby up and use an ez-out. Wish I was closer to ya man, good luck.
    2000 Katana 600
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

At this point, I'd completely drill and retap (or drill & install a KeenSert) -- probably the only options left. The only question there is whether it's feasible to drill a good replacement hole on the bike or if engine-out/drill-press will do any better.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

just becareful using an easy out cause if its breaks off inside the bolt.. they are almost impossible to drill out.... they are very very hard

good luck

"I'm not bad...I'm just drawn that way..."
        Jessica Rabbit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3iUp9UjuMo

Comment

Sorry to hear of your trouble. I had the same thing happen with 2 of mine last spring. 1 came out when we welded on it. The other I had to drill, like was mentioned, starting at 1/8th and working up. I retapped 1 size larger to make sure i had good thread.

Good luck.
          Today is the Tomorrow that you worried about Yesterday....

Comment

Number of header bolts that came out easily - 7 out of 8
            New Diamond Cutting wheel for Dremmel Tool - $3
            Dremmel pen extension - $45
            Can of Liquid Wrench - $5
            Set of Square extractors - $55
            Set of Easy-Out Extractors - $50
            New pair of kick-ass Vice Grips - $25
            Bike stand - $125
            Heater for garage - $35
            House call by welder to weld a nut onto bolt - FREE (but didn't work)
            Various titatinium bits and new set of Cobalt Bits - $75
            Tap & Die Set - $60
            Bottle of cutting oil/lubricant - $12
            New bolts & gaskets - $25
            Can of high-temp manifold paint - $5
            Total number of tools borrowed - 6
            Number of broken light bulbs from dropping shop light - 4
            Number of WEEKS at this: 8

Having no surface rust on my headers? PRICELESS.

FINALLY got it done today. Tapped it out, picked up some new 8mm bolts, and started it up about an hour ago. I learned a lot, and have a lot of nice new tools out of this. My own advice/recommendations

to anyone out there who runs into this - do NOT piss around with Titanium-coated bits. Spend the money and get yourself a set of Cobalt ones. And don't waste your time or money on the Easy-outs. I read

other people comments saying this and should have heeded their advice. Just when I thought I was 'there' the Easy-out broke off inside the bolt and I ended up having to drill IT out.

Number of CC n Cokes I'm having tonight? Don't know - but I ain't counting them that's for sure. :P
            There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.

Comment

TIP!
              First thing I allways do with a bike is get those bolts out and replace them with thread-ends and nuts using a little cupper-grease, in my experience either one off the two ,thread-end or nut, will allways come loose.

Comment

OMG...I just saw this thread!

In the future...PM me, I would have been over there in a flash.

I know it is too late now, but keep that in mind for the future.

(I rarely look in the Mechanics 101 forum because I don't have a Kat, and my input is not as valuable as some of the members on here)

Comment

Thanks Range - no worries. I pity the next stuck/broken bolt I run into!!
                  There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.

Comment

Working...
                  X