X

Tree bolt covers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tree bolt covers

On my tree i have two hex bolts rusting and when i go to buy new ones i dont want them to rust like these have. Do you know where i can buy covers that fit on these bolts. Thanks!

COULD throw some clearcoat on them ....
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Old ones

Do you think i can do that with the rusted ones?

Comment

Um , you'll just be clearcoating the rust ......

Comment

Get new bolts (or covers) and clear coat 'em. They normally rust after they've been exposed to too many tools nicking them plus dirt held against the surface (the dirt starts a dielectric reaction that rusts 'em). This is an example of cleanliness making for longer bike life.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks

Alright well cool, i will just new ones and clear coat them when i go to paint my bike in about 2 weeks. Do know if that make custom carbon sheet kits for the dash or will i have to cut it to make it work.

Comment

Didn't you ask about that already ? I KNOW I just saw a post with a link answering that question .....

Comment

Nope

Nope never asked, I read a post on here earlier about someone wanting carbon fiber customs and a guy who showed what theres looked like. But the problem was is that the website he gave was in the UK and i am in the United States. Plus on the website it seemed like the only way to reach them was threw phone.

Comment

Hmm You must have a UK version of Ron Ayers.
                  Those little dealies can't be too much. But ordering from the US would kill you in shipping I would think.

Ultimately though I don't think the caps will prevent rusting. Just cover it up. Best bet (if it's just rust you're worried about) is to switch to Stainless.

Comment

I get a lot of my bolts at ACE Hardware (Houston, TX). They have a large assortment of stainless nuts and bolts. I have never had a problem with them rusting, cracking or breaking.
                    2006 Kan-A-Tuna GSX-F 750

Comment

Originally posted by jasmail
                      I get a lot of my bolts at ACE Hardware (Houston, TX). They have a large assortment of stainless nuts and bolts. I have never had a problem with them rusting, cracking or breaking.
                      +1

Well, except for the bit about Houston... I use my local ACE

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Lets say you went and found the same bolt from ACE, would there be a problem later on using them instead of going to lets say bikebandit and getting them there?

Comment

As long as they are the same size bolt you should be ok..I have locally a Hilco Fastener Warehouse...I have bought their Stainless Steel bolts several times and never had a problem...
                          Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

As long as the bolt's strength/shear ratings are the same or greater, there should be no issue. For critical bolts, there will be imprints in the head of the bolt with those ratings that you can use to guide you.
                            Be sure to coat the replacements' threads with an anti-seize paste just to be on the safe side -- you don't want the change in metals causing dielectric rusting or dielectric welding of the bolt's threads, possibly making it neigh-on-impossible to remove at some future date.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

K cool. I already have the paste and bought the bolt. The threads matched up fine. So off to put them on when i get back to the house.

Comment

Working...
                              X