Turn Signals Dont Work

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black_peter
    Originally posted by md86
    Same as what's involved in getting to it on a 98+ . Just need to gain access to the back of the engine .
    Isn't the washer under the screw a oil seal?
    Did you have to replace yours?

I assume you removed:
    Fairings.
    Tank.
    Carbs.
    Thats it?
    I don't BELIEVE I replaced it if it is . I just took it out when taking off the head and reset the ratchet mechanism like the book says .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

denniskirk.com americanmototire.com

Comment

Bad bulbs, debris or water in the turn-signal switch itself (the one you push on to turn them on/off), bad ground wire. I'd start with the bulbs, then clean the turn-signal switch, then search out the grounding wires, in that order.
        Ok, I cleaned all the connections (I could find with my seat, plastics, and tank removed) and lubed them up with dielectric grease. Still no luck.

For more detail, the signals act strange, sometimes they (both sides) will light up for a split second, and then nothing. Sometimes one side will light up for a fraction of a second, but the other will not. Some times neither side will do anything. The length of time they light up also varries but is allways too short for them to cycle through a blink.

The only other thing I can think of is a ground issue. Where are the most likely grounds to be affecting the turn signals? Could it be an exposed wire somewhere? If so, any good ideas on tracking it down? Specificly does anyone know where the turn signal wires are routed from the front to the back of the bike? I can see where they come into the bike from the front, but then I loose them once they get to the motor.

Is the flasher the little metal square mounted on the front side of the battery box? or is it behind the battery box near the fuse panel?
        Any use in replacing it?

Comment

Any Ideas Cyber?

Comment

Try unmounting the lights and wiring them directly at the flasher -- do they work now? If so, the wires inbetween are bad. If not, time to replace the flasher unit or check the feeds to it.

Normally flashers blinking fast indicate a bad load (are you running the right bulbs, or are you running LED replacements?). You also haven't mentioned anything else going brighter/dimmer when the blinkers are running -- usually a ground fault will cause power to spill over into another system, like the dash lighting (dash bulbs going bright/dim with the blinker cycle). Do you have ANY other electrical gremlins on the bike?

As for tracing wiring -- start at the bulbs and work from there. Or get a wiring diagram and simply replace those lengths of wire all-together and see if it works.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
            X