Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

When I crank on the throttle, it hesitates. What's up?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I crank on the throttle, it hesitates. What's up?

When I crank on the throttle, it hesitates. I wish I could make the sound for ya. It's much easier to describe like that. The bike runs like a top as long as I ease on the gas, but as soon as I crank on the throttle it hesitates. Very unresponsive. Any idea wth I'm talking about? If you need anymore information to better assist me lemme know. It drives me crazy when I pull out into traffic and need to gun it and simply can't. =(

Thanks,

Looney

Cranky slides or dirty CV passages.
    You need a bath!!!

Comment

I clueless as to what's causing this. I thought it might be an injector deal, but it wasn't. Not entirely sure what "Cranky Slides or CV passages" are or what to do with'em. Please be as specific as possible. I have no problem working on my bike. I've pretty much disassembled the whole thing and put it back together. I just don't know the names of some things. The more detail the better. Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by Looneybonics
        I thought it might be an injector deal, but it wasn't. ... I've pretty much disassembled the whole thing and put it back together.

you disassembled it yet didn't notice it has no injectors??

What I'm saying is that you need to clean your carburettors..
        There is plenty said about that already. Check the how-tos..

Comment

Actually...I just put new Carbs in a few monts back. I just wasn't familiar with "CV" for Carb valves.

I'll ride it a bit more till I get totally pissed. Carbs were a pain in the butt. Thanks for the info though.

Comment

Do you know if the carbs you put in have a jetkit installed in them? If so, do you know what brand?

This problem on the 98+ Kats, in my experience, always come down to one specific combination of issues:

The engine bogs as you go on-throttle because the slides aren't raising fast enough to compensate for the change in throttle (vacuum) and the mixture is going out of range (way too rich). This can be caused by sticky slides (as Black_peter mentioned), or by overly stiff slide-springs packaged with DynoJet jetkits, or by a minor vacuum leak somewhere in the system (usually at a carb sync port nipple cover, or airbox drain hose). In rare cases, it can also be due to very poor carb tuning.

Traditionally, you'd clean the carb sliders (the black rubber itself), fix any vacuum leaks, and if it's still doing it, check the spring and either go back to stock springs (my preferred solution) or cut the springs down some.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

how bad does it hesitate? mine gets a slight hesitation when the little rubber donut isn't set right in the airbox.

Long Live the D

Comment

Doughnut?

Actually thats another cause.. If you don't have your airbox tight the slides can chatter rather than open up..

Comment

Thanks guys!

Nah...no jet kit. I bought these off Ebay. They're stock 05 carbs. Probably just a wee gummy. I can take off fine. The studder only comes when I go full throttle. I'll give it a clean when I get a chance and see how it goes. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Looneybonics
                    Probably just a wee gummy.
                    Try running some Techron Fuel system cleaner through with your next fill-up. It'll probably resolve it if it's just "gummy".

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Great suggestion. Heck of a lot easier than pullin the carbs too. I like easy. Thanks CP.

Comment

Working...
                      X