X

Laying on its side

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laying on its side

My buddy wrecked his motorcycle back in the beginning of the summer. He loaded it up in his truck and parked it in the garage. When he loaded he just laid it on its side in the truck did not stand it up. He parked it in the garage and left for college. He parents never removed the bike from the bed of his truck so it has sat there for a few months. Another friend of ours said to just get rid of it becasue the engine will be siezed up from laying on its side. Is that true. Any way to avoid this w.o rebuilding the engine.

that doesnt seem right to me but i am sure it would need a good cleaning

Comment

Rough guess, but I think a rebuild might be neccesary
      but those aren't THAT hard if you have the time and patience
      Live and Lean.
      When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
      "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
      Romans 3:23

Comment

I wouldn't think you would need anything as drastic as a rebuild. Definately drain the oil and change out the filter. You would also want to drain the fuel tank and get some fresh gas in it. There more than likely will be some issues with needing to clean the carbs. But overall, I wouldn't "give away" the bike by any means. Unless the overall damage to the bike from the spill is too much to fix.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
        who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

What kind of bike was it?

If it was a Kat (or other carb'd bike), drain the gas out of the tank and the carbs, drain the oil, remove the oil filter, air filter, yank the spark plugs & battery and let it stand up for 24 hours with all the drain ports open. Then put on a new oil filter, put in new oil, a new battery charged-up. Put about a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder and rotate the engine by hand a few times (putting the bike in 1st and spinning the back wheel will do it). The screw in the plugs, throw in a new air filter and about a half gallon of fresh fuel in the gas tank, prime the carbs. and fire her up. She should fire within about 20 seconds unless something else went wrong in the wreck (such as the clutch sensor switch got damaged, etc).

If it's a fuel-injected bike, do all the above except draining the carbs (it doesn't have any), and ignore the "prime" step.

As long as it didn't run on it's side for any signficant amount of time, aside from accident damages, the only issues you would be facing (above and beyond those addressed by the stuff listed above) would be crapped up carbs and a potentially rusty fuel tank. Since it was in a garage, most of the weathering issues should be pretty minor.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Its a 1990 Katana 600 I believe. No there was no real body damage to it. He has it all redone up so we def dont want to give it away. I know what it takes to rebuild the engine. Being in college we would both rather not because of limited time, but we could if it is neccesary.

Comment

i have seen bikes freeze up when left sitting...... but it is usually for a couple of years, once they sit the rings rust to the cylinder wall and even if you do break it free they leave a huge gouge in the bore, thus making it burn oil and not compress well......but i would find out if the engine has siezed up or not before i gave it away, but if your looking to get rid of it theres just enough room in my garage to fit it and i will "JUNK" it In one case i saw a small engine sieze after sitting over the winter without fogging the engine, it was a two stroke, and i was able to break it free and the motor ran just fine. As for you on its side problem its obviousily not going to have the oil where it is supposed to go(in the pan) but if you do the steps other guys have said youll do just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Court93kat
                I wouldn't think you would need anything as drastic as a rebuild. Definately drain the oil and change out the filter. You would also want to drain the fuel tank and get some fresh gas in it. There more than likely will be some issues with needing to clean the carbs. But overall, I wouldn't "give away" the bike by any means. Unless the overall damage to the bike from the spill is too much to fix.
                Oh no , it's garbage . You don't wanna deal with that . Gimmie your address and I'll get it out of your way for ya 8) .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                X