X

strong gas smell

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strong gas smell

Just wondering, my wife called me today to tell me that my bike seemed to smell excessively of gasoline. It's in the mini-garage which is part of the house. When I got home, I could smell gas, but it didn't seem too bad. I opened the garage and took out the bike. The odor was stronger there, but there were no obvious signs like a stain or puddle underneath the bike. I couldn't ever pinpoint the cause, although I was able to smell gas stronger on the right side of the bike, where the hole is over the carborator. Any ideas? Is it ever normal to smell gas (a little)? Thanks.

Did you put the bike into the garage warm? Fuel will evaporate from the carbs while the motor is still warm. Let the bike sit outside for 10-15 minutes, or leave the door open after riding to all the bike to cool off.

I moved into a new home in spring, and noticed that the gas smell was coming into the house....
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I also experience this gas smell if I put the bike in the garage and let it cool off there. I usually just leave the garage door open 15 mins or so, and then its all good.
      It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Remember unless you have a Cali model you don't have the closed venting system of a car. All the gas that evaps is evaping into the air. From the tank and the carbs. The gas will evap above what? -40 degrees F?

Comment

Something like that.

I'd take a paper towel (dry, clean) and wipe down the petcock and the fuel lines around it, then pull the paper towel out and see if you spot any moisture. If not, and you're not seeing anything on the ground, it's probably just the evaporation issue (common)... But still better safe than sorry by not checking at all.

KNOW THIS:
          Fuel lines, like tires, are rated for a maximum of five years before they should be replaced.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I asked my friend and he told me to look at the fuel selector. Well, I looked at my fuel selector/knob that says "on" and "res" and I forgot the third option. Anyway, I looked at it and it was wet with gas. He told me I was supposed to turn the fuel knob when I am done riding. Could my leaving it in the "on" position have caused a little gas to leak out and cause the smell?

Comment

What you need is either a new fuel line hose (cheap, any auto parts store), or a petcock rebuild kit (if the petcock itself is leaking -- I sell them).

While your friend is well intentioned, he is mistaken. The system as a vacuum-activated over-ride that uses engine vacuum to turn the petcock "on" and it automatically shuts off in the ON and RES positions when the engine is off. Still, a leak in that area has zero to do with the petcock switch position and everything to do with the rubber that holds the fuel.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                What you need is either a new fuel line hose (cheap, any auto parts store),
                I strongly disagree with using autoparts store gas line. I picked up 2 feet for $1.79 and it #$%ed me up! It lost it's flexiblity and sprung leaks.
                Better to spring for good line I paid, I forget $1.50 /foot?. Super flexible, remains clear..

Comment

Your choice of fuel line is better, BP. I was thinking about curing the fuel leak issue ASAP for potential fire reasons -- and as you know, some of our members have had zero issues with auto parts fuel lines, and others have had headaches, since the quality/type varies so heavily. Which size (parts unlimited part #) did you go with, BP?

Moonrs, your local bike stores should also sell the better grade fuel lines.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I was thinking about curing the fuel leak issue ASAP for potential fire reasons
                    That's fair. I wasn't trying to blast you, just thinking of others who read this thread..
                    Which size (parts unlimited part #) did you go with, BP?
                    3/16..

Comment

So, yesterday, I turned the gas selecter and today, no smell. I touched it and it was almost entirely dry. I haven't ridden it since then. Is that significant (that the gas smell is gone and it's dry) or do you still think that I need to replace the fuel line? Is that it difficult to change out the line and would I have to drain the fuel out to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by Moonrs
                        So, yesterday, I turned the gas selecter and today, no smell. I touched it and it was almost entirely dry. I haven't ridden it since then. Is that significant (that the gas smell is gone and it's dry) or do you still think that I need to replace the fuel line? Is that it difficult to change out the line and would I have to drain the fuel out to do it?
                        I would change out the fuel lines just to be on the safe side -- we're talking about under $10 worth of lines total for the high-grade line, and so little for the regular grade that my local auto parts store simply hands it to you and says "have a great day!"

Either way, you want to track down and nail the fix for this and ANY fuel leak, because the last thing you want to be doing is riding along and suddenly have the engine heat flash-fire a fuel leak (especially with air coming in under pressure from the front because you're moving forwards). It's a horrid sight seeing a bike on fire in motion and few riders come out of it unscathed.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I would change out the fuel lines just to be on the safe side
                          +100
                          we're talking about under $10 worth of lines total for the high-grade line, and so little for the regular grade that my local auto parts store simply hands it to you and says "have a great day!"
                          Same with the stores here. Cyber is right fix it. It could be that the fuel "drained" below what ever crack or slit is causing the leak or an air bubble floated up to that point. I would get the top line stuff. Replacing the line at the carb inlet is a bit of a PIA so only doing it once is a plus..

Comment

I'll see if I can get it fixed tomorrow, then. I'll let you know how it goes...

Comment

Well, I couldn't get it looked at, because I couldn't get it started, because my darn battery had run down. I've ordered a battery tender, but will have to sit fuming until it gets here. How do you guys use them? I mean, do you always hook up your bike when you're done riding, or only when it's going to sit for awhile, like a week or more? How can I tell if my battery is going bad, as opposed to simply having run out since it hadn't been used?

Comment

Working...
                              X