Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

So, are these ideas the best/cheapest way?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, are these ideas the best/cheapest way?

Just joined yesterday! Great site!
    Been doing a lot of searching and reading past threads, I was up until 2:30 in the morning, yep I have no life! But, I saved myself alot of time and money!!!!
    I will try not to ask the same questions.
    My bike is a stock 600 2002 Katana and I want to upgrade like most riders.
    I will turn 47 this month, been street riding on and off for about 27 years, because I'm "old" I don't want a loud, peaky bike.
    For an "affordable" upgrade........about $550, do-it yourself.
    Here is what I learned by reading the past posts:
    *Air cleaner - keep stock
    *Grind stock header welds for better flow.
    *Yoshi slip on pipe, good sound, small performance gain.
    *Ivans jet kit, good power increase at all rpm's, easy to do.
    *Timing advancer +5 degrees, better low/mid range.
    *Gearing, drop 1 tooth on the primary. Better pull in lower gears.
    *Oil, Castrol GPS.

A little knowledge can be dangerous, so let me know what you think about these mods, before I start replacing stuff!?

How much rear wheel HP can I expect from the above mods?

I was glad to read "Cyberpoet" is in the Tampabay area, nice to have a local bike Guru!
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    Lyle
    1959 Triumph TR-3, 1970 Opel Gt, 1999 F150, 2006 Gixxer 750, Kawasaki KDX-220 dirt bike, Enduro Racing Kart 100cc Yamaha......

All good idea's but you could also take some $$ and put it towards a track day or two, or some advanced rider training. We have FAST School up here, I'm sure you guys have some equivalent down there.

Also you have a 2002 and didn't mention what your running for tires? new rubber can make a world of difference.
    Kyle

Comment

Kyle, your right about more seat time and riding school! Gotta be able to ride what you have.
      I ride mostly on the weekend and consider myself a good older rider, still willing to learn something new though.

For me, all the upgrades are a waste of $, unless you can make it a better/safer street machine.
      These are the only reason for me to improve my Kat:
      *The bike is too quiet, for safe riding in this retirement state! The old people around here cant see my bright yellow Katana or hear it! The slip on might help!
      *The motor runs OK, but it is running lean, plugs are white. Sluggish in the low/mid range.
      *Gear change, for more usable power at slower normal driving speeds, no place around here to run at 135mph. Changing from a 15/47 to a 14/47 will make the upper gears more useful around town. The older Kat's had close to this gearing stock.

Good point about the tires, mine are still stock and should be replaced soon.....have HP but I can't turn!

Kyle, I don't have snow tires for my Kat, so an Ontario track day might not be a good idea this time of year
      Lyle
      1959 Triumph TR-3, 1970 Opel Gt, 1999 F150, 2006 Gixxer 750, Kawasaki KDX-220 dirt bike, Enduro Racing Kart 100cc Yamaha......

Comment

5 degree advancer, and a Ivans jet kit. you'll be very happy!

Comment

Originally posted by 05_katanatyson
          5 degree advancer, and a Ivans jet kit. you'll be very happy!
          That's all I'd reccomend + any synthetic oil and good filter. That is all.

Comment

My general thoughts on what you (& others) said:

(A) Although I prefer the Castrol GPS, any JASO-MA rated oil should do you well (and many may be much cheaper).
            (B) woobie hit it on the head with tires -- I'd recommend good tires before jetkit or advancer.
            (C) Although it's cheaper (and easier) to put on a -1 tooth front sprocket in the short run, you'll get far more chain life out of a +3 rear sprocket, which will give you exactly the same benefit in terms of acceleration. As the chain goes around the smaller sprocket, it wears harder and heats more, which shortens it's life. If you're doing new tires, it's a good time to do chain/sprockets as well, esp. if you farm such stuff out to mechanics.
            (D) I prefer the Hindle over the Yoshi, but both are good.
            (E) I'd seriously recommend the Fumoto Oil Drain valve (www.fumotovalve.com) -- best $25 you can spend for ease of maintenance.

Q: How many miles on the bike?

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

whats the model number on the drain plug?or how do you get one?

Comment

Originally posted by 05_katanatyson
                whats the model number on the drain plug?or how do you get one?
                Your bike takes an F111, and you order it online from them at the website I sent you to. Installation will take a bit of cutting with a dremel (about 2 mintues worth) to remove an extra ridge on the oil pan -- once the ridge is cut away, it simply threads in. Full install with pics is here on KR.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Mods

8) I'd go with the advancer first it's stickly bolt on. Then I'd go with one mod at a time so you'll know what did what in the direction you want to go or not go. There's mods you can do that will save $$$$ if you have and understand tuning skills. Lot of good post and guys that know their stuff on the site. Just becareful and go at your own pace on these air cooled motors, they don't like heat. You can get some good improvements by tuning.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                    (A) Although I prefer the Castrol GPS, any JASO-MA rated oil should do you well (and many may be much cheaper).
                    (B) woobie hit it on the head with tires -- I'd recommend good tires before jetkit or advancer.
                    (C) Although it's cheaper (and easier) to put on a -1 tooth front sprocket in the short run, you'll get far more chain life out of a +3 rear sprocket, which will give you exactly the same benefit in terms of acceleration. As the chain goes around the smaller sprocket, it wears harder and heats more, which shortens it's life. If you're doing new tires, it's a good time to do chain/sprockets as well, esp. if you farm such stuff out to mechanics.
                    (D) I prefer the Hindle over the Yoshi, but both are good.
                    (E) I'd seriously recommend the Fumoto Oil Drain valve (www.fumotovalve.com) -- best $25 you can spend for ease of maintenance.
                    Q: How many miles on the bike?

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Just got back from a 4hour ride, this is the best time to ride in Florida, perfect riding temp! I really do like this bike, enough power to be fun, but not enough to get into too much trouble!
                    Thanks for all the info!
                    A) I change my oil (20w-50) every 2,000miles or 3months, so oil probably wont matter much.

B) What tires do you suggest, for a weekend old rider?

C) I race Go-Karts for a hobbie, so I'm good at figuring gear ratio's. Cyberpoet, Yep, your right a small primary will eat up the sprockets, but I was being cheap/lazy! OK, you talked me into adding 3-4 teeth on the back gear.

D) The Yoshi is on sale at most places. The Hindle is hard to find, unless you have a good source?

E)Will check out the oil drain valve, easy is always good.

I have 4,000 miles on this bike, it was a left over, and a good deal!

To be realistic and honest, the Katana has more power than I can handle, on most roads around here!
                    All I want is a louder pipe, better handling and smoother more consistant power.

Don't set your goals to high, and you will be happy in life!
                    Lyle

Comment

Re: Mods

Originally posted by coolhandluke
                      8) I'd go with the advancer first it's stickly bolt on. Then I'd go with one mod at a time so you'll know what did what in the direction you want to go or not go. There's mods you can do that will save $$$$ if you have and understand tuning skills. Lot of good post and guys that know their stuff on the site. Just becareful and go at your own pace on these air cooled motors, they don't like heat. You can get some good improvements by tuning.
                      Good advice!
                      Something I learned from racing; "If you don't keep score why play the game"?
                      Sorry, I don't have a dyno, but I was thinking about doing a stop watch run at say 50-80mph in 4th gear?
                      This way I could check each upgrade, not real accurate , but better than "It feels faster" !
                      What would be a good test MPH/RPM/gear??
                      A dyno would be better, anyone have one locally?
                      Lyle

Comment

Oil Weight (Florida): Suggest you move to 10w40 about this time of year; move back to 20w50 in late March - mid April (when we start cresting 85/90 during the days).

Tires: My specific recommendation for your bike is the Metzeler Z6 RoadTecs in a 120/70ZR17 front and 150/70ZR17 rear. These tires have slightly over 10k miles life in them for most riders with your stated habits, and have increadible grip in our warmer climate, plus are the best full-wet (summer monsoon) tires I've been able to find for our bikes... I did test 6 different brand/make tires new vs. new, back-to-back a few years ago, and their direct predicessors (Metzeler Z4's) won that round hands-down. You can get them mail-order for about $220 a pair (www.americanmototire.com, denniskirk.com, ronayers.com).

Hindle: Ask Speedee for the Hindle source, or search all his posts from the past 7 days for the word "hindle" -- he listed a good source.

We do a mechanic's day at my place every couple months or so, and I teach valve adjustments, plus provide carb sync, etc. (while you provide dinner/drinks). The mechanics day sometimes gets moved to someone else's place, and if you have a good work space, that's good too...

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                          Oil Weight (Florida): Suggest you move to 10w40 about this time of year; move back to 20w50 in late March - mid April (when we start cresting 85/90 during the days).

Tires: My specific recommendation for your bike is the Metzeler Z6 RoadTecs in a 120/70ZR17 front and 150/70ZR17 rear. These tires have slightly over 10k miles life in them for most riders with your stated habits, and have increadible grip in our warmer climate, plus are the best full-wet (summer monsoon) tires I've been able to find for our bikes... I did test 6 different brand/make tires new vs. new, back-to-back a few years ago, and their direct predicessors (Metzeler Z4's) won that round hands-down. You can get them mail-order for about $220 a pair (www.americanmototire.com, denniskirk.com, ronayers.com).

Hindle: Ask Spedee for the Hindle source, or search all his posts from the past 7 days for the word "hindle" -- he listed a good source.

We do a mechanic's day at my place every couple months or so, and I teach valve adjustments, plus provide carb sync, etc. (while you provide dinner/drinks). The mechanics day sometimes gets moved to someone else's place, and if you have a good work space, that's good too...

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Need to change my oil, so 10w-40 makes sense for the "cold" Florida winter weather ahead!

Great, will look for the Metzelers tires and Hindle pipe.

Cyberpoet, I don't know much about you, but you have a very good reputation on this site!
                          That would be great if you would invite me to your mechanics day!

I have a small CNC machine shop in Clearwater, I like mechanical stuff, and have room for a few bikes in the shop! So let me know when you have a class scheduled!
                          Dinner/drinks sounds good!
                          Lyle

Comment

You own a CNC shop? We need to talk. I own a motorcycle accessories design/fabrication firm (started last year) and need more custom work done...

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Mods

8) Shop????? CNC????? Racer?????? I think that pretty well covers tuning skills, sorry bout that.

Comment

Working...
                              X