X

differences in pre98 vs 98+ clutches?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• differences in pre98 vs 98+ clutches?

Hey all. I am dropping a 98 600 in my 97 600 and noticed that the used engine I bought doesn't have the clutch plates. Question, is it possible to swap the clutch from my 97 into the 98? OR is the 98 clutch much better and should I just get the new plates (friction and spacers) to fit it?

The discs in my 97 are in excellent condition, but obviously, just the discs don't swap over, so what all would have to get swapped? basket, springs, plates, housing, etc?

I tried searching, but I'm not sure what I should search for because 'clutch' and 'clutch swap' and 'clutch improvement' all turn up a bunch of non-related stuff. It's just too common of a word. Thanks in advance.

I would check out the Ron ayers or bike bandit fiche.. compair the two years clutch packs..

Comment

I think the motors are identical. I bet Jimmy knows.... or try PMing letsride.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

sounds like a good excuse for a clutch upgrade
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by steves
          I think the motors are identical. I bet Jimmy knows.... or try PMing letsride.
          That's the thing. The clutch cover is the exact same, but the plates are quite a bit different (other than they are both round). I'm hoping the entire pack will swap out to allow me to fit the 97 discs and basket.
          Anyone know? I've pm'ed a couple of ya, but no answers yet.

Comment

Anyone???

Comment

Alright, whelp. I guess since no one has any advice, I'm just going to tear into it and see if I can find something that matches up. Wish me luck! I'm off to find some sockets big enough to get those packs off.

Comment

Luck dude!

Comment

Couldn't find any sockets w/o having to pay $20 per socket so i just found a clutch pack on fleabay for $45. Anyone in need of pre98 clutch and friction discs or a 98+ clutch housing?

Comment

They can interchange if you take the belleville spring and washer out. The pourpouse of this on the 98 and newer is to keep the tire from locking up on a downshift.

Comment

Working...
                    X