X

Carburation problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carburation problem

Well, since I have installed the new engine and carbs, the engine idle speed cant keep it at6 1200 rpm. It ups and down, suddenly 1000, and then, 2000 rpm. I though it could be two things, too much air in the mix or bike need a cleaning and carburating.
    The guy that sold me the bike offered clean them. After install, bike didnt work correctly (same idle problem) and it runs bad, like it was low in gas, if you didnt acelerate, it died.
    So bike was carburated (teorically...), but I still had the same problem. When it appear, if I put the PRI position, she runs fine, but idle still itīs crazy. So, what can be wrong?
    I will try next weekend my old carburators, because the new ones are getting me crazy!!!
    PICSSSS!!!!

i would first use wd-40 and spray around the carbs looking for a vaccum leak. if all is fine turn the idle screws out.

once the bike is off (just) the idle circuit does it run ok ?

tim

Comment

if it runs fine with the pri setting on the petcock maybe it's a petcock problem. I know there are fuel petcock rebuild kits floating around here somewhere that aren't too pricey.

Comment

I will test ride the bike tomorrow in the morning. Petcock was revised a few months ago and was ok.
        But the idle problem gets me crazy!!!

once the bike is off (just) the idle circuit does it run ok ?
        Sorry, can you explain this, I didnt understand...
        PICSSSS!!!!

Comment

When you give it a little gas so it's no longer idling , I beleive he means .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
            When you give it a little gas so it's no longer idling , I beleive he means .
            Ok, thanks! Well, it depends, sometimes runs nice, sometimes not!
            PICSSSS!!!!

Comment

Do what Trinc suggested.

Intermittent operation sounds like a vacuum leak or a missing o-ring on the air side perhaps.
              AMA member # 224227

Comment

you try to sync the carbs?
                Is Effingham a swear word?

Comment

Throttle cables too tight.
                  Throttle butterfly return springs sticking.
                  Vacuum leak.
                  Unbalanced carbs.
                  Bad fuel.
                  Float bowl setting wrong.

Look up the VIN and tell me which country the motorcycle was originally built for. The answer may change the reason (Switzerland, Austria).

=-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by illinoiskat
                    you try to sync the carbs?
                    Yep, supposely it was made in the bike shop.

Originally posted by Cyberpoet
                    Throttle cables too tight.
                    Throttle butterfly return springs sticking.
                    Vacuum leak.
                    Unbalanced carbs.
                    Bad fuel.
                    Float bowl setting wrong.
                    I only have to check the Vacuum leak or the float bowl setting. Do you remember that my gas indicator was crazy a few months ago? Right now is just dead, ever empty.

I rode today 80 km and I think a problem was solved... Bike didnt run nice, only did it in PRI position, and I tough that there was a problem... but it wasnt. As my gas indicator isnt working, I know I can ride near 300 km with a tank. Then, with 200km, I have yet gas for 100 more km. But then, someone must have steal some gas to me (in the bike shop), because when I come back to home, with 240 km on the odometer, bike stopped. I open the tank, and, surprise!! No gas!!
                    That was the reason because the bike wasnt running correctly, she had no gas!!! I called a friend and he gave me a bottle of gas, and then, in the RES position, bike works fine.
                    But I still have the idle problem, itīs at 1500rpm, then ups to 2000, then go down to 1000... I have to check where is the vacuum leak!!
                    PICSSSS!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X