Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Need help please with reference price on used engine.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help please with reference price on used engine.

I've got a lead on a 93 600cc katana engine. He says there's about 8,000 miles on the engine and it ran before it was pulled from the bike about 7-8 years ago. There was a small problem with the transmission, says it was needing a replacement part, I can't remember what he called it.
    I'm looking to replace my 91 600cc engine that has low compression on cylinder#2. Assuming what he says is true, is this engine worth buying and if so how much should I offer? He didn't have an asking price, he asked me to make an offer. I'd want to give him a fair price, but want to keep it really inexpensive because I'm planning on buying a newer bike this spring.
    Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate
    'He who is not afraid will always be safe'
    --Lao Tzu

So he has had this engine just lying around for 8 years? Either he has a strong sentimental attachment to it, and will want a lot of money for it or he has no use for it and it has been taking up space all this time. I'd say $50, maybe $100 if you really want it. Then again, I am no expert. That is just what I would pay.

Comment

Small transmission problem = 2nd gear or shift drum of shift forks...........

Engine worth about $100, mostly for parts.

Plan on tearing down the entire engine to do a tranny rebuild.............very tough. Everything off and out, split the case, gut the tranny, then start rebuild. Def. NOT for the faint of heart..........or someone w/o a manual!
      I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
      Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
      Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

if the starter is still on his engine, jump it and check the compression. if the compression is good, take the top end of your engine and replace it with the top end from his engine. Basically, you just pull the head and the jugs from the engine with the bad tranny. Also take the pistons from the same engine to keep it as a set. If you get the engine for $100, and maybe another 100 for new gaskets, you have a good engine. Try to get it for $50 if you can.
        you can part out the other engine and get maybe a $100 out of it.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. He told me what the transmission needed but I can't recall. He didn't call it a 2nd gear problem or shift drum, I thought it started with the letter P. Maybe I'll call him back and get the specifics on the problem and see if I can get the compression numbers.
          --Lao Tzu

Comment

Need a motor? I've got an '03 600 motor in my garage, complete and running. Lemme know!
            FrankenKat 1216
            GS Fiter 816
            GSXR750! (race)

Comment

$50-$100 really whats that in english pounds

i want a new engine but is £150 for an 88 600 with over 40,000 miles expensive?
              i pitty the fool that dont ride oldskool

Comment

Originally posted by DooD
                Need a motor? I've got an '03 600 motor in my garage, complete and running. Lemme know!
                PM Sent
                Not sure what shipping would be from Canada to Southern Utah.
                --Lao Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Nate91kat
                  Originally posted by DooD
                  PM Sent
                  Not sure what shipping would be from Canada to Southern Utah.
                  USPS won't take something that big or heavy. It would have to go freight, and that would likely be expen$ive.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I've got a 97 600 motor and I live in Utah. PM me if your still looking.

Comment

Working...
                    X