X

new guy in need of help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new guy in need of help

First off i'm very new to bikes, but i do work on cars and am pretty mechanically inclined. OK so i was riding home from work, and the bolt that is below the ignition, (is it called the triple tree?) fell off. So my front end bottoms out, front brakes seize up, luckily a friend of mine randomly pulls up next to me, as well as a cop and we move the bike to the side of the street. went to checkers bought a bike jack reconnect the bolt, when we start her up the idle climbs up to 4500rpms. So does this have anything to do with the throttle cable being pinched?
    What if this problem persists if i replace the throttle cable?
    thanks for any help

btw its a 1995 kat 600

Comment

went to checkers bought a bike jack reconnect the bolt, when we start her up the idle climbs up to 4500rpms. So does this have anything to do with the throttle cable being pinched?
      First off - WOW, bet that scared the crap out of you!!

So, why is your idle up to 4.5K... Check both cables - choke and throttle. It should be pretty obvious if you have a problem with either of them.
      "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

COULD be a pinched cable . Look at the length of the sheath and see if it looks knicked or anything .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

i somewhat checked the cables, but i have not done it thoroughly yet. i 've been told by a couple people now that it sounds like my throttle cable is kinked, but i didnt seem to notice anything wrong with the sheeth

and yeah it did scare the crap out of me, im just lucky it happed at slow speeds and not on the highway.

Comment

Yeah......cable pinched.

BTW.........check your top tree and bottom tree clamp bolts. That main bolt really only holds the top tree to the stem, and the other bolts should, well, assist a bit by holding the trees to the forks.

Also, when you re-assemble that all, grease your bearings while you get her apart! Be careful how you tighten things up.........consult a manual or post up on here for torque specs on things...........
            I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
            Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
            Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

hey thanks, but, i only found the main bolt on the side of the road, where are the other bolts located? and how many?
              thanks again for the help guys

Comment

Hmmmmm........your stem bolt came off????? That wouldnt drop the front if the tree bolts are tight......I am thinking you either have loose or stripped bolts on your trees.....
                How long have you had the bike? Did you buy it from a dealer, or have it serviced recently?

You are very lucky you didnt become a statistic......

Comment

be careful i chech the obvious stuff like bolts that i can get to easily about every one week of riding just to be safe cuz these bikes vibrate alot at 10 11 12 13 thousand rpm's
                  wanted a busa but bought a kat like it alot very nice to ride lol

Comment

Originally posted by notec
                    Hmmmmm........your stem bolt came off????? That wouldnt drop the front if the tree bolts are tight......I am thinking you either have loose or stripped bolts on your trees.....
                    How long have you had the bike? Did you buy it from a dealer, or have it serviced recently?

You are very lucky you didnt become a statistic......
                    i've had the bike for about 2 weeks now, imma double check everything as soon as i can work on it again, cuz its in my friends parking garage locked up right now

Comment

Working...
                    X