X

03 600 head replacement

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 03 600 head replacement

8) I'm gonna replace the the head with a clean low milage 02. Got my manual handy. Need some common sense tips like lubing the bearing surfaces and tighting down the cam bearing caps. Was thinking of spinning motor over with the kill switch on to get some oil up there before I light the candles. Do I need to go ahead and pull motor or just let it tilt down in the frame. Keith,Cyber, and others when you speak I listen. Some of ya'll that have done this, I'd appreciate any and all tips. Don't want to score any cambearings on start up, that's why I'm replacing the head. My engine runs fine, just a little noiesy when warm, found scored cam bearing when I adjusted the valves. Thanks to all who reply. I'm also replacing all gaskets and orings. (Headgasket) dry or coat it? Thanks everybody.

There's engine rebuild oil . Get some . It's at ANY auto store . It's a heavy reddish colored oil . You smear THAT on your cams and such before bolting it all back together .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I recently replaced my cams. I coated the cam journals and the surface of the cams with regular motorcycle engine oil and buttoned it back up. Started the motor as usual and haven't had any problems from it yet.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
      who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Yep...........MD's got ya covered. Rebuild oil!

I also use Vaseline for lots of parts.............gets a good lube on things and dissapates and burns off. Stays where you put it to get a good INITIAL lube for protection. Since I'm SURE you're changin your oil every 3,000 like you should.... ......what little bit goes thru stays in the old filter!

To turn your motor over - don't use the ignition - take off the starter gear cover or the timing cover (LF or RF) and turn the bolt!
        I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
        Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
        Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Thanks guys that's what I'm looking for. OK, I'll spin her over by hand which I was gonna do after timing set with no plugs. Assembly lube I got and the Vasaline tip sounds like a winner. I've used white molygrease in the past. I'm allways open to other ideas from the pros, that's how you learn to do things different and better. Not trying to be picky, just want to do it right. Greg, thanks homie, I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
          X