X

Just finished changing my fork seals

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished changing my fork seals

Seriously, what else is there to do on a friday night from 10:30p till 3:30a? Anyway, I've actually had the seals and oil for a while, but I guess I was just so accustomed to the way it was that I kept putting off the job. That, and one of the custom made tools in the manual had me a little uneasy. So anyway I finally did it and. . . wow. It's gonna take me a while just to get used to the way things are SUPPOSED to be. Now, I've already begun accumulating parts for a gsxr front end swap, so I wasn't terribly meticulous in doing the job. At least one of the bushings could stand to be changed and the very last piece to come out of the lefthand fork didn't want to come out, so I left it in. Whomever assembled that tube used some sort of sealant or goo or something that had that little short machined aluminum piece stuck in there pretty good. I actually have the manual sitting only a few yards away but I'm tired and don't feel like going look up the name. Anyway, I know I'm rambling, point is changing the for seals is really easy on a 92 750 Katana and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

One other thing, the oil that was in there was pretty nasty so if your bike hasn't had the fork oil changed recently you might want to give it some consideration.

Every other year is the change interval called for by the manual on fork oil... It's one of those slowly-fading issues like brakes where you don't tend to notice the degradation because it changes so minorly day-to-day, but the instant you change it, you realize what your bike's been missing...

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i know what you mean about changed the fork fluid ben segrest. when i got my kat this season the ride sucked lol then i found out why...the drain bolt on my right fork was gone....(mmm thats something i missed when i bought it lol) so yeah its pretty crazy, what you never know your missing. changed the oil its a new bike now,still need to change the springs i think,when i change the adjustments on the fork i feel no differnce. oh well another winter job

Comment

Yeah , the goo on the bolts in the bottom SUCKS ! I had to replace BOTH of those bolts once they finally came out because they got knackered trying to get the out .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

anybody ever drill and tap holes in the later model kat forks to make it easier to change fork oil?

Comment

Working...
          X