X

I hate circlips/snaprings!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate circlips/snaprings!

I went to install a shift kit i got with the bike today (after getting the bike running and synching the carbs.....which was a whole other adventure in pain and artistic use of foul language). Well I had bought a pair of snapring pliers from an auto store....no name brand. I will never do this again. From now on I will shell out the money for name brand good tools. The actual tips on the pliers were different diameters and splayed out, so that I had to try and file them down on the concrete and hammer them to angle in just to get the damn things on the snapring. I get it off after several slipped attempts and a busted knuckle. It's when I went to re-install the snapring that the stinky brown solid hit the high speed metal rotating blades. I got it partially on before the crappy pliers slipped out and the ring pulled a Houdini. I didn't hear it clank on the asphalt, and I checked all of the towels on the ground and the oil pan and oil catcher i had on the ground. I looked everywhere on the black asphalt parking lot with no luck. I'm just gonna buy a new one (with some good Motion Pro pliers). But what worries me is if the snapring flew up into the engine and is gonna get lodged in a gear or something. I guess I'll just have to hope for the best that if it is in the engine, when I fill it up with new oil it'll wash down to the bottom of the oil pan and with any luck get stuck up in the oil filter before destroying any gears. Who in the hell invented those things anyway?
    What the deuce!?!

Few tools display the "you get what you pay for"
    motto like snap-ring pliers.
    I have several pairs (for different tasks).
    There is not greater joy then watching these
    little guys at work. I have a pair by Jensen Tools.
    They have an changeable piviot that allows you to
    to use it on inside and outside clips.
    I guess they go for around $15-20

Comment

What you probably bought were angled needle nose.....proper snap ring pliers wouldnt need to be filed down.

Comment

No, they're snap ring pliers, with several different attachments for them. In fact, they look almost exactly like the picture of the Motion Pro snap ring pliers on RonAyers.com. However the quality of the pair I have is very sub par. It's kinda like getting a good deal on a "Rolex" from a guy on the street, and then getting fired from your job for showing up to a big meeting an hour late due to your brand new Rolecks.
        What the deuce!?!

Comment

Hahaha......good one!!!

Comment

I BROKE my circlip pliers . Just had to buy new ones . I usually just use small pliers and a screwdriver , but that don't alwys work for all clips .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
            X