cant get engine to idle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cant get engine to idle

Hi,

Recently, Ive tried starting my bike thats been sitting, but after numerous attempts, the plugs became carbon fouled. I took the tank off, fairings, etc and replaced the plugs with brand new NGK's. They were also gapped correctly.

It fired right up, no problems, after having the choke on approx. 3 minutes, I started to crack the throttle a bit and rev it from there on. However, when I rev the throttle, the rpms die instead of jump up. Could the throttle be stuck somehow!? Im running out of options...after it stalled I tried about three more times to start it, with the choke fully on, and nothing!!!! I cant get it to idle now...Im afraid the plugs are fouled again.

Please help, Im running out of patience and options

Thanks

man, plugs get fouled so quick with kats..its not even funny. I had a similar problem with mine, where as long as the choke was wide open she'd stay running, but when i disengaged it, and tried to increase the throttle and rev up the rpm's..it would sputter out.. In my case, my throttle linkage was sticking and once I checked it out and sprayed it down, its been fine since..but thats also after a new set of plugs and the carbs getting cleaned out. all 3 scenarios for me contributed to same problem.

Comment

interesting, it seems like I have the same symptoms...did u use carb cleaner to take care of it? or disassemble them?

thx

Comment

Sounds to me like the carbs have some crap in them................

A littel bit of a job, but if you've already got all that stuff off, not so bad!

Remove the carbs and then drain them. Turn them over and remove teh bowls, then the float assemblies, then the jets. Clean EVERYTHING thoroughly with carb cleaner or brake cleaner and then blow it all out with compressed air.

Check for bad rubber O-rings and gaskets, then re-assemble.

They are some pretty good reference sites...........Doug771 or Factory Pro....do a search on here and I'm sure you'll find the links...........
        I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
        Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
        Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by Gsxxx600
          interesting, it seems like I have the same symptoms...did u use carb cleaner to take care of it? or disassemble them?

thx
          dissasembled them totally..and man, they were absolutely gunked up beyond belief!

Comment

Could someone come and clean mine for me please? lol
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

thanks everyone...if i take them apart and clean them, must I synch them as well?

Im kinda iffy on working on carbs...I may get them cleaned professionally

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                Could someone come and clean mine for me please? lol
                Pay for my plane ticket ?
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by Gsxxx600
                  thanks everyone...if i take them apart and clean them, must I synch them as well?

Im kinda iffy on working on carbs...I may get them cleaned professionally
                  I've read that every time you take the carbs off the bike , it's a good idea to synch them . I don't usually . But if it's been a while it might be a good idea . Cleaning them is scary the first time , but if you're VERY careful , it's not that bad .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

What MD said, and just pay close attention to what you are doing. Alot of small parts.
                    TDA Racing/Motorsports
                    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                    Who knows what is next?
                    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Thanks for everyones advice!
                      Although, I absolutely feel my carbs need service, I took the plugs out again today, made sure they were gapped and cleaned again, then I took the tank off and noticed one of the lines was practically folded in half!

So needless to say, thats all it took and it fired up!
                      Now I can enjoy my 45+ degree day, and worry about the carbs later
                      thx

Comment

You also shouldn't have the choke on for 3 minutes. The choke richens the mixture and that makes the plugs foul, it's the same reason you shouldn't take short trips around the block, the engine doesn't have enough time to burn off any deposits. After you clean the carbs try this, leave the choke on for a maximum of 15 seconds then use the throttle to keep it alive until it's warm. Need4Speed750 is right, kats foul plugs like crazy, especially mine but if you use the choke just to start it and stick to longer rides you shouldn't have a problem. Unless of course there's another deep rooted problem lurking beneath...

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiman555
                          You also shouldn't have the choke on for 3 minutes. The choke richens the mixture and that makes the plugs foul, it's the same reason you shouldn't take short trips around the block, the engine doesn't have enough time to burn off any deposits. After you clean the carbs try this, leave the choke on for a maximum of 15 seconds then use the throttle to keep it alive until it's warm. Need4Speed750 is right, kats foul plugs like crazy, especially mine but if you use the choke just to start it and stick to longer rides you shouldn't have a problem. Unless of course there's another deep rooted problem lurking beneath...
                          +1

As you run the choke, the plugs load up with rich deposits. When the plugs reach full operating temperature, they burn off excess deposits. If the engine isn't reaching full temp, they never get that chance, and additional starts just load them up further. You may well have fouled plugs again.
                          Owner's manual says to only use the choke for 30 to 60 seconds under all conditions requiring choke -- always use as little choke as necessary, and use the throttle to keep it running after that (throttle use shouldn't foul plugs unless the carbs aren't running right or unless they are mistuned in the first place).

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                          X