X

Brake Pad Wear Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Pad Wear Question

Are the brake pads equipped with a sensor to indicate when it need to be replaced?

Thanks
    2001 GSXF 600

ummm im pretty sure it doesnt

if they are weak and thin....might as well change em
    Yo

Comment

There is a groove cut in the pad.
      It should be visable with out removing the pad.
      If the pad is worn to the groove. Replace.

Comment

Would you have a side picture of the pads. I can see how much padding I have left but I dunno how much padding there was to start with.

Thanks again
        2001 GSXF 600

Comment

ummm. no.
          That was a pic I grabbed from google just
          to illistrate..

Comment

Since I just changed mine, I think there is roughly 1/4" to 3/8" material to start with. that's by no means something to count on, but off the top of my head.
            http://rides.webshots.com/album/552670376QLcRnn?start=0

Comment

Pop the dust cap off one, take a light and look down inside. Look for the thcikness of the pad and the groove. You CAN see them.......gotta crane your neck a bit, and a little pen light helps, but you can do it!

I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
              Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
              Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

thanks, i can see there is still some left on the pad. but the pad itself is so very thin, i'm not sure at what point it needs to be replaced.

ill just ask for a new pad next time im at the dealership to make a thickness comparison

thanks for the help
                2001 GSXF 600

Comment

Originally posted by solidfish
                  i'm not sure at what point it needs to be replaced.
                  solidfish I'm not sure how more clear we could have been.. If you cannot see a goove than get new pads.

Comment

sorry, what i meant is that the pad itself is so very thin, its very hard to see the groove. You are talking about milimeters...

Thanks again
                    2001 GSXF 600

Comment

Note that not all pads have the grooves, although they really ought to (not for wear reasons, but for off-gassing reasons to help prevent glazing).

As for the specs on pad width for those which don't have the groove (here let me grab a set of rear EBC pads for a 98+ off the shelf and a micrometer):
                      New rear EBC HH pad (FA63HH) has literally 1/4" (.250") of pad material above the backing plate, which would be approx 6.3mm.
                      Pad replacement should occur at any time the pad is down to 1/4 of that -- so approximately 1.5mm.

Whatever you do, you don't want to get past the pads and run on the backings at all, or you'll be due for new rotors and possibly new calipers as well.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                      X