X

throttle slipping, loose cable?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• throttle slipping, loose cable?

I brought my bike in to the dealership for some routine maintenance at the 4000 mile mark last week. Whatever they did, the shift points seemed to change. That's fine, I can adjust to that.

However, this morning - after about 150 miles of riding since I got it back from them - I started having problems. I noticed that when I was pulling back on the throttle, there was a bit of wiggle room where nothing would happen. Normally, if I just start to pull back, I start getting some throttle. I found at freeway speeds, I had to pull in the clutch, let go of the throttle, try and push it back up, and then pull it again to get any sort of acceleration.

I was wary of riding it home, but I did anyway. Things got worse. The wiggle room got bigger and bigger, and by the time I was coming down the final stretch to my exit, I was pulling back fully on the throttle and getting little to no acceleration.

It seems as though the throttle cable has loosened. Probably because the maintenance guys didn't tighten it enough when they put things back together.

My question is, is this an easy fix for someone who's never done any sort of maintenance to his bike, beyond lubing the chain? I'd like to learn, but I don't want to go in there and mess things up even worse.

Otherwise, my thought is to just wait until the morning, call a tow truck to pick my bike up, then call the maintenance dept to let them know they messed up and my bike is on the way for them to fix.

And just the other day, I had to bring in my car for idling problems. If it's not one thing, it's another! At least I have the car back so I can drive it while my bike's back in the shop.

IMHO: Your bike is under warrantee -- make them deal with it.

A 4k service should have nothing that tinkers with the throttle settings except those right at the throttle control (at the handlebar) -- and those wouldn't/shouldn't account for that kind of play.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Call the dealer & tell them about it.

Might be a stuck or improperly routed throttle cable set..........or they forgot the tighten up the nuts on the bottom of the cables.

LOVE to see photos of what's under the tank..............if you can get them, post them! Several folks on here might be able to spot what's wrong just by looking at a photo!

Good Luck, and keep us posted 8)
      I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
      Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
      Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

mine came loose under the tank after a valve job

Comment

Originally posted by Special K
          LOVE to see photos of what's under the tank..............if you can get them, post them! Several folks on here might be able to spot what's wrong just by looking at a photo!
          If only I had my digital camera... unfortunately that broke too (what's up with my luck lately?)

I'll just get AAA out here in the morning and use #2 of 4 tows for the year, and call up the dealer as my bike is on the way over. As long as I get it back by Friday so I can ride this weekend, I can deal with that!

Thanks for the input, guys. Knew I could count on some of you for some quickie advice.

Comment

Quick and easy fix. Just as I had suspected, they didn't tighten the cable properly, and that's all they had to do.

The good news? I get my bike back right away so I can still ride the twisties this weekend.

I posted another topic on here asking about repair/service manuals so I can do repairs like this on my own from now on. Getting a tow truck to come get my bike is a pain in the ass.

Comment

Originally posted by schlagdogg
              I posted another topic on here asking about repair/service manuals so I can do repairs like this on my own from now on.
              The Suzuki Factory service manual for your bike (same as the 98+) is right here:
              KR - Katana How-To's - Katana and Hyabusa Manuals... For Download!

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                The Suzuki Factory service manual for your bike (same as the 98+) is right here:
                KR - Katana How-To's - Katana and Hyabusa Manuals... For Download!
                Yeah, I saw that thread, and saw that the link is dead. However, after digging through near the end of the thread, I found a new link which works!

http://katriders%2ecom:[email protected]

Warning to dial up (if anyone still uses that) - it's a big (125MB) pdf file.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X