Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

what do i need to replace to make my signals blink?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do i need to replace to make my signals blink?

my front turn signals don't blink, they just stay lit up when i hit the switch. is there something under the seat, like a relay or something that i need to replace? if so, where at and approximately how much will this part cost?

i finally got my bike back from the shop today, and now i'm having to get it "street ready". i still don't have any mirrors yet, and i just purchased the front signals earlier this week. rear signals, smoke-tinted windscreen, and rear fender are also on my "to-get" list. anyone got some sample pics of aftermarket rear signals on a pre98 750?

"If you ain't first, you're last..." - Ricky Bobby
    "Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

The turn signal relay sits right in front of the battery. It is a black square box. Go down to the local auto parts store and buy one. It is a 12volt 2 prong relay. This will allow you to have a set of LED rear turn signals. I got mine from my local shop. you can go to www.shockracing.com YOu can see my signals in my pics.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

this is what I have and You can get them about any shop.
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I will get a better pic for you if interested
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

do the rears blink? I know that in some cars a signal staying lit is a warning that a buld is out.

Comment

If you have aftermarket signals, they could be three wire units that someone wired up wrong (one wire is for running light, one for ground, and one for blinky) or your relay could be shot, ro if they are stock I'd check the bulbs too.

The Kats have a two wire system using single filament bulbs for all turn signals.............and none are rigged to be on as marker lights all the time (you'd need a double filament bulb for that!)
            I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
            Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
            Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

I know this may sound weird, but did you try them while running the engine? My signals doesn't blink, just stay lit, when the engine is dead but blinks fine when it's running. I just assumed that this is normal... but maybe not so, anyone?
              - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow
                I know this may sound weird, but did you try them while running the engine? My signals doesn't blink, just stay lit, when the engine is dead but blinks fine when it's running. I just assumed that this is normal... but maybe not so, anyone?
                sounds like you have a weak battery...while the engine is running, your not actually using the battery to power the electrics.

Comment

Originally posted by Range
                  sounds like you have a weak battery...while the engine is running, your not actually using the battery to power the electrics.
                  I'm going to check it with a voltmeter. I never have problems with starting the bike, though, it was cranking just fine a few days ago when it was only a few degrees (celsius, ~35-40 F?) outside, after sitting a month without charging it.

There is something goofy about the electrical system, the left signal sometimes starts to blink rapidly, at high rpms... Not trying to hijack the thread, but where should I start looking?
                  - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

faulty bulb....corrosion in connectors....electrics are a biatch...sometimes voltage crosses paths and you get residual line voltage....have all connections checked and make sure bulbs are replaced in pairs.

Comment

i connected some signals to the rear and they do the same as the front. i'm thinking it's the relay, so i'm going to try replacing that first. the flushmounts are new, and i've tried 2 sets and they both do the same thing. thanks for ya'lls help!

"Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

Comment

I've noticed that if I dont have all four signals hooked up properly they won't blink. They'll just stay lit up when I use the signal switch. Have you had all the signals hooked up? or were you testing the fronts and rears separately?
                        '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

Re: what do i need to replace to make my signals blink?

Originally posted by takirb
                          my front turn signals don't blink, they just stay lit up when i hit the switch... i just purchased the front signals earlier this week.
                          KNOW THIS:
                          The stock front blinkers on the Kats are wired backwards compared to aftermarket blinkers. If the front blinkers are two wire, incandescent bulb type, try reversing the polarity of the leads, and you will probably get the blinking back.

For LED's & three-wire leads, it's a different story.

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ok, i can try that. i wired them up with the black/white striped wire as ground. i'll see if reversing them does the trick before i remove the battery to get that relay.

i haven't tried hooking all 4 signals up at the same time yet, i keep forgetting i have some stick-on's i could use if i really wanted to...

Comment

Working...
                            X